lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2013, 08:10 PM   #1
ice329
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 Exaust

How important is useing the G16 stock exaust. Reason, the original is rusted out and its modified anyways so it sits horizontal and is mounted with a piece of angle. The pipe off the motor comes off straight then makes a bend twards the rear of the cart. I was thinking just cut it off and use a shorty. Not sure if it will to loud or sound cool or what? hehe
http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Shorty-Universal-Motorcycle-Muffler/dp/B003NQAJPY http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Shorty-Universal-Motorcycle-Muffler/dp/B003NQAJPY
Any thoughts. I think almost anything would be better them whats there. I will be taking pics soon as a few more things are done.
ice329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-08-2013, 07:33 AM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 Exaust

Not 100% sure about how restrictive the stock G16 exhaust is, but typically for four stroke engines, the exhaust system does not influence performance as drastically as on a 2 stroke. I would say go with an exhaust note both you and the neighbors can live with . Too loud may become "old" pretty quick. - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #3
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstik40 View Post
Not 100% sure about how restrictive the stock G16 exhaust is, but typically for four stroke engines, the exhaust system does not influence performance as drastically as on a 2 stroke. I would say go with an exhaust note both you and the neighbors can live with . Too loud may become "old" pretty quick. - RAY
Air cooled engines valves are sensative to correct back pressure. If you run with less back pressure the engine will run lean. Lean mixture creates more heat and can burn valves. The main mixture on the G16 is not adjustable. So you would have to run a richer jet in its place. Load up the cart. Check your spark plug color after a 15 minute full throttle run. It should be a light brown in color. White is to hot. I have seen many a motorcyle engine where the owner took off the muffler or removed baffles. Only later to do a valve job.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
ice329
Getting Wild
Yamaha

TY the main jet is bigger. I think I found a muffler... the farmer next door suggested a ford tractor muffler and sure enough i think it will slip right over the pipe after the old one is off. remember this cart is all changed from stock. With the 25" tires i would say the cart is doing high 20's mph. My G1 does 19-20 and this thing smokes it. There is a steep hill across the street and it dont like the hill, those big tires change the whole gearing ratio.
Old 02-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Odds are if the muffler is for say 12hp or more it should work fine. People use all kinds of stuff for muffler from road bikes to atv to lawn mufflers....I used a car muffler it was $30 lol. If you have to get a torch tip cleaner, you can file out the main jet a little to richen it. That is what I did with my G9 when I took the airbox silencer out and it was lean. I did it a couple times until it ran good then checked the plug. It would cut out at first when you gassed it. That you can get the jet out in the cart if careful, I just filed it a few times and tried it again, repeat. I actually bought a little drill set to do the clone jet. (which now is in there with the new car muffler, had stock muffler on the stock engine)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
technoid
Getting Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice329 View Post
How important is useing the G16 stock exaust. Reason, the original is rusted out and its modified anyways so it sits horizontal and is mounted with a piece of angle. The pipe off the motor comes off straight then makes a bend twards the rear of the cart. I was thinking just cut it off and use a shorty. Not sure if it will to loud or sound cool or what? hehe
http://www.amazon.com/Emgo-Shorty-Un.../dp/B003NQAJPY
Any thoughts. I think almost anything would be better them whats there. I will be taking pics soon as a few more things are done.
If you plan to drill out the jet as others, its better to finish with a reemer. Drilling tends to leave small scores that interfere with even asperation of the fuel air mixture. You can get small reemers at any machine shop supply. Check the number drill chart for the correct reemer size.
technoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Your cart would normally require a g2-g14 muffler.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
ice329
Getting Wild
Yamaha

There isnt much stock about this cart. Someone along the way changed a lot but overall its works and runs pretty darn good. I am not gona mess with the muffler.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha