lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #1
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default 1986 G3/G1 Rebuild questions/progress

So I have all my parts from Plowmans to get this back to as new or better. First question, do I need a primary clutch puller to change the crank seals?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG0001.JPG (146.5 KB, 0 views)
85.G3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: 1986 G3/G1 Rebuild questions/progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85.G3 View Post
So I have all my parts from Plowmans to get this back to as new or better. First question, do I need a primary clutch puller to change the crank seals?
Yes, very rarley does the primary fixed sheave come of the crank without the puller. On the flywheel side a 3 way puller will work. Make shure to "mark" the ignition timing plate so you can reinstall it correctly.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
abieex
Gone Loco

Yamaha

I used a 1/16" dril bit to make a mark on the plate and the case.
abieex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks guys, I will avoid a problem I didn't even know was there
Old 04-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

So I started my first war with a centrifugal clutch today. Overall it went pretty good but I think the G3 body and chassis create some clearance/access issues other G1 don't have. I had to disconnect the top shock bolts and jack the body up from the swing arm a few inches to get a straight shot at the shaft and puller with the rear wheel off.. With an impact wrench the shaft nut and puller were a breeze. Then came the sheave key and it was stuck pretty good, soaked with penetrating oil and pulled with a vice grip but it would not budge so I gave it a good tap with a screw driver and hammer and everything blew off with a bang. I don't think I will ever see the sheave key again but everything else is fine. So where to get a new key?
Old 04-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85.G3 View Post
So I started my first war with a centrifugal clutch today. Overall it went pretty good but I think the G3 body and chassis create some clearance/access issues other G1 don't have. I had to disconnect the top shock bolts and jack the body up from the swing arm a few inches to get a straight shot at the shaft and puller with the rear wheel off.. With an impact wrench the shaft nut and puller were a breeze. Then came the sheave key and it was stuck pretty good, soaked with penetrating oil and pulled with a vice grip but it would not budge so I gave it a good tap with a screw driver and hammer and everything blew off with a bang. I don't think I will ever see the sheave key again but everything else is fine. So where to get a new key?
Thats what we all have to do. It's just part of the "swingarm" design. You should be able to find a key at your local napa or hardware store. If not, try one of our sponsors. I got my little do dads from a place called 3R which is close to me. They may have to order the little things, but you'll find em....
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Slo, My wife found the key on the shop floor this morning. I used "Sprindles" (SP?) ratchet tie down trick and it only a few minutes to get the Sheave, key and nut on . Now on to removing the motor and putting in the new top end. Really appreciate the help from this site and those that take the time to share experience
Old 04-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #8
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

So after completing the clutch I realize Spriddles instructions on this site say to discard the white plastic washer. Plowmans instructions don't mention the plastic washer. I don't recall where it was located on the shaft but the ID looks like the large inner part of the shaft. Do I need to tear it down and put the washer in? Thanks
Old 04-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #9
CharlieN
Gone Wild

Yamaha

That washer came from between the sheaves. The value in omitting it is that the belt will ride higher in the secondary providing a lower, low gear ratio.
You will want to set the belt in place to see how close to the top it rests. It should come right up to the top.
CharlieN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
85.G3
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Thanks Charlie. That explains why I didn't remember were it went. When I knocked the key out the whole clutch came off in a pile.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha