lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Finman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Major Motor Problems

I have a 1997 G16 that has major motor problems. The cart has a Plowmans overdrive clutch kit, a performance kit, governor bypass, stock tires, and recently new piston and rings installed. Recently I was driving in the neighborhood and the motor just died. the motor would turn over but not start. I pulled the motor and removed the side case and the cam shaft gear was stripped and the small gear on the crank was also stripped. Any idea what would have caused this? What recommendations would you have to fix it?

Thanks,

Finman
Finman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Major Motor Problems

Have to say I never heard of that happening. Maybe Smallblock or someone has seen it. Pretty much have to replace those items, or put a different engine in it. That really sucks.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
Finman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

yeah, I am at a loss. When my buddy put the piston and rings in for me, it seemed a little tight and a little hard to turn over but I wouldn't think this would have caused it.

Fin
Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #4
G1-G9
LIFE IS TAKING FOREVER

Yamaha

For the price of a crank and a cam it would be cheaper to put a clone motor in it now.
G1-G9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #5
Finman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

is there a suggestion of where to get a clone motor? I don't know enough about them to be dangerous. Are they simple bolt in?

thanks,
Fin
Old 04-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finman View Post
I have a 1997 G16 that has major motor problems. The cart has a Plowmans overdrive clutch kit, a performance kit, governor bypass, stock tires, and recently new piston and rings installed. Recently I was driving in the neighborhood and the motor just died. the motor would turn over but not start. I pulled the motor and removed the side case and the cam shaft gear was stripped and the small gear on the crank was also stripped. Any idea what would have caused this? What recommendations would you have to fix it?

Thanks,

Finman
Are these gears a synthetic or metal gear? If they are synthetic, overheating can destroy them!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 PM   #7
Finman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

they look metal to me. cart was not hot. had only been running a couple minutes at maybe 15mph. the new piston and rings probably only had 30min run time.

Fin
Old 04-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Clone is a honda copy, lot of places sell the 420cc it is nice in carts. Mine is a home depot online, I also put in a carolstream, some use harbor freight or maxtool. Now vegas carts got some 440cc they would be ideal.

It is not a bolt in, it is a project. It is cheap, they run well lots of power, but it takes some work to get them in there and all hooked up. You have to make an exhaust sometimes airbox, connect cables and throttle linkage or fabricate them, plus a motor mount which to me was the easy part lol. Vegas carts is working on kits to put them in. You can use your stock clutch with the adapter from CPP.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Im guessing when the engine went back together something wasn't lined up right. Those gears just don't chew themselves up. Maybe some debris in there? I've seen small engines freshly rebuilt, someone forgot to lube it up with assembly lube, did it dry, and it literally melted the rings together in a couple minutes. But cam gears are hardened steel, should take "some" abuse before they get chewed up that much. Something wasn't lined up right.
slonomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Finman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

so no one thinks its because of the governor bypass or the cylinder not being machine honed when new piston and rings installed?

Thanks,
Fin
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha