lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
traperguy84
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Question on building a cart.

Good afternoon folks.

I got a few questions for all the electrical guru's if thats alright. Please excuse my ignorance, I don't know a whole lot when it comes to electric carts.

With my gas CC built to a point I am happy with, I am wanting to start a build of an electric cart, (No cart purchased yet). Main use will be a campground cruiser, 98% flat, gravel roads. The other little bit is one small hill, probably about a 5% grade, for maybe a quarter mile.

My ultimate goal is to build another DS, with the All Sports 10" A-Arm lift kit. I want to run either 26"-27" tires. I Know that to get the most out of the battery pack Ill need to upgrade to 2AWG for the Battery cables and then to the motor.

First Question. I know that I will need to upgrade the motor. I was looking at plum quick motors and with their great reviews, I believe this is the route I want to go. When you go to their website though they only list 3 motor and they are all built for speed. Obviously running tires the size I want, I will need a motor built more for torque. Does plum quick make such a motor? I would like to at least maintain factory speeds though, if at all possible.

Second, When it comes to the controller, How do you decide what AMP controller to get? Im assuming the rating of the motor will be a factor in this decision? or is it best to get the highest rating controller and be done with it? Also, are the controllers easily swapped from factory - aftermarket or do you need to be an electrical genius to wire them in? It seems like Alltrax is the controller of choice here on the forum, Looking at Alltrax's site, they mention programing via USB. Are they hard to program?

Third, As mentioned I want to stick with a DS, but would consider a precedent for the right price. Are there any years of either to shy away from? I know I want to find 48V, but on Plum Quicks site they say you must have a 10 spline motor. Do all club cars have the 10 spline?

Thanks in advance for all the help. Like I said, I'm not too sure when it comes to the nitty gritty of electrical work.
traperguy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-28-2017, 04:48 PM   #2
Hunter450
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Question on building a cart.

If you want to run those size tires and possibly adding a back seat you must consider torque as the main driver. I would recommend looking for a DS-IQ cart. I started with a Regen cart and after consulting David (site sponsor) aka Tahoedawg71 with Revolution Golf cars we converted my cart to an IQ cart with a 12hp Admiral A4 motor, 500 amp Alltrax XCT controller, 400 amp solenoid and 2ga wires and it was the best investment I could have made. I would highly recommend you contact David as he is in golf cart meca (Augusta, Georgia) where he may be able to help you find that DS.
GOOD-LUCK!
Hunter450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Thanks Jerry,

I can answer any questions you may have. Give me a call whenever you like and we can discuss what you need to do. Those are some extremely large tires, especially for a Sepex system. Converting to a Series system may be the better option here. With that being said, there still isn't a system on the market that's designed for that large of a tire. You're just going to have to put the heaviest duty stuff on it that you can find and understand that problems may arise due to the extra load. These components are not designed for it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
traperguy84
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter450 View Post
If you want to run those size tires and possibly adding a back seat you must consider torque as the main driver. I would recommend looking for a DS-IQ cart. I started with a Regen cart and after consulting David (site sponsor) aka Tahoedawg71 with Revolution Golf cars we converted my cart to an IQ cart with a 12hp Admiral A4 motor, 500 amp Alltrax XCT controller, 400 amp solenoid and 2ga wires and it was the best investment I could have made. I would highly recommend you contact David as he is in golf cart meca (Augusta, Georgia) where he may be able to help you find that DS.
GOOD-LUCK!
Thank you! Torque is my priority, since the campgrounds speed limit is 5-10 MPH anyway.

Yes, probably a back flip seat or bed, we have two dogs who love to ride the cart so we need room for them!

Thanks for the tip on the IQ cart also.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #5
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by traperguy84 View Post
Thank you!

Yes, probably a back flip seat or bed, we have two dogs who love to ride the cart so we need room for them!

Thanks for the tip on the IQ cart also.
FYI... The best time to call me for technical advise is in the evenings between 6-9PM ET. I'm turning wrenches and shipping internet orders the majority of the day and it gets pretty hectic.
Old 03-28-2017, 05:20 PM   #6
traperguy84
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Thanks Jerry,

I can answer any questions you may have. Give me a call whenever you like and we can discuss what you need to do. Those are some extremely large tires, especially for a Sepex system. Converting to a Series system may be the better option here. With that being said, there still isn't a system on the market that's designed for that large of a tire. You're just going to have to put the heaviest duty stuff on it that you can find and understand that problems may arise due to the extra load. These components are not designed for it.
Even with a high torque motor? hmm... I don't want a system that I'm not completely satisfied with thats prone to break downs. Do you think lowering to the 6" long travel lift and more reasonable tires (24"-25") would yield better results?
Old 03-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Even with a high torque motor? hmm... I don't want a system that I'm not completely satisfied with thats prone to break downs. Do you think lowering to the 6" long travel lift and more reasonable tires (24"-25") would yield better results?
Definitely, unless you want to convert to 64 or 72 volt. I've done that before as well. If you do that, I don't think 28s will be an issue.
Old 03-29-2017, 04:40 PM   #8
traperguy84
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Definitely, unless you want to convert to 64 or 72 volt. I've done that before as well. If you do that, I don't think 28s will be an issue.
What kind (brand) of motors do I need to look at if converting to 72V
Old 03-29-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
What kind (brand) of motors do I need to look at if converting to 72V
I've sold several customers the GE 1168 and the D&D 170-004-0002A and they've all been working flawlessly for several years.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car