lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Alltrax XCT - Low/High Voltage - We have been using it all wrong

I was not sure what to call this thread, but I would like to share this information since I think a lot of members can make these simple setup changes right now to improve their cart safety and performance.

There were a few recent threads about Low Voltage acceleration and High Voltage Regeneration, so I wondered if the Alltrax engineers had designed their software to prevent the Controller from being the cause of those conditions.

Lithium Users - Regen Brake

My first test was driving down my street and hitting the Regen brake, with the default 62v high voltage setting, the pack goes up to 61v and current flows to the max value I have set for Regen battery amps.

I then lowered the "Over Voltage" setting to 55v and repeated the test, this time the Controller kept the battery voltage at 55v or less.

I logged the tests and you can see the Controller modulating the Regen current (at the time of the "High Bat" flag) to prevent the pack from going over the voltage setting.

This can be beneficial for Lithium users where you can set the Alltrax "Over Voltage" just slight above full charge and the Controller will use as much of the Regen Brake current setting as possible without raising the pack voltage above your "Over Voltage" setting.

For All Users - Voltage Drop under acceleration.

My second test was going up hill at full throttle, with the default 38v for "Under Voltage", my batteries dropped to 42v.

I then raised the "Under Voltage" setting to 44v and repeated the test, this time the Controller kept the pack above 44v while accelerating uphill.

Looking at the logs You can see at the time of the "Low Bat" flags the Controller reduced the current being used to keep the pack from dropping below the "Under Voltage" setting.

I left my "Under Voltage" setting at 44v to help my 5 year old pack.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #2
NoleFan4Ever
MOD of all BS!

Club Car

Default Re: Alltrax XCT - Low/High Voltage - We have been using it all wrong

Great info Sergio! (And if you meant to post the logs I do not see them)

I am still playing with mine because of reduced regen capabilities with my PQ Executioner.
NoleFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Good info. Eventually - Alltrax will release their lithium capable controller. It's been in the works for a few years and testing in the field for at least 1-2 years but, A lot has to go into something like a lithium safe controller before it can come to market.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:36 PM   #4
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

How bad did it degrade the carts performance when you raised the "Under Voltage" setting to 44v? It would stand to reason that if the voltage didn't drop below 44 then it wasn't drawing as much current.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 08:25 PM   #5
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I did one test with the under voltage set to 46v for an extreme scenario and the performance loss driving uphill was very noticeable, the maximum battery current was limited to around 100 amps.

At 44v volts is not noticeable and keeping the voltage from dripping too much helps the cart get to higher speed quicker.

My original test was for Controlling Regen for lithium setups by limiting both the current and voltage returned during Regen brake, but raising the under voltage also helps the Controller automatically reduce the current demand as the batteries get discharged or weaker.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car