lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #1
Scrambled
Not Yet Wild

Default Cushman cart

Hi all-

I am trying to get my Cushman utility cart running for my wife to use on the farm.

I have ordered an Altrax 48500 controller, 400 amp solenoid switch and a 48 volt charger.

The previous owner absolutely butchered the wiring harness, so I want to remove as much as possible.

I also ordered 1/0 welding cable and solid copper crimp on terminals. I have a 16 ton cable crimper already.

Should I just remove all existing wiring? Or try to sort it out?

I only want the key switch and the foot pedal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scrambled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
Scrambled
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Cushman cart

Does anyone know what this controller is?

I need to figure out the wiring before I start replacing the controller

Steve

Old 07-07-2019, 01:05 AM   #3
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Based on your previous post from Nov. 2017, I assume that you are in the process of upgrading your Cushman Titan 3000. What model year is your cart?

What is the model number of your cart? The number format should be a 6 digit number followed possibly by 4 digits (i.e 898338 8610).

Do you have a wiring diagram for your cart? If not, you might be able to find one on the internet by searching the cart model number.

Is your cart currently running on 36V or 48 volts? Since you indicate you are ordering a 48 volt charger, I assume you are upgrading from 36 to 48 volts. I also assume that your Fwd-Rev Contactor would also have to be upgraded from 36 to 48 volts too (perhaps other BGW members who have done this upgrade can confirm if this is a requirement).

You will want to look at your wiring diagram and compare it to the Alltrax SR48500 controller wiring requirements. You can find a number of wiring diagram options on the Alltrax site (see: https://alltraxinc.com/sr-series/).

When I was considering an Alltrax SR48500 controller replacement for my 1998 Cushman Hawk, I compared my wiring diagram to the Alltrax requirement and major wiring changes would have been required. I did not follow through with the controller replacement (I was able to resolve the issues with my original controller), but my plans were to pretty much rip out all of the existing wiring and start fresh with all new wiring as significant changes would have been required. When you compare the changes you will need, you should be able to decide on how to best proceed.

Your existing controller information should be on a nameplate on the end opposite to the connections on your controller. As is often the case, you might have to remove the controller to access this information.

The new, light gauge, black wire (with white writing and white tape strip) that is connected to your controller seems to be a significantly undersized wire compared to most series controllers that I have seen. Where is this wire connected to?

Note that when installing your "solid copper crimp on terminals" that the terminal connection sizes are important to make full contact. All of your cable gauge connections should be correctly sized ... either 5/16" or 3/8" are common depending on the connection. It is NOT best practice to install a 3/8" cable end on a 5/16" stud, so you will likely require both 5/16" and 3/8" crimp on terminals to match the stud sizes.

Good luck with your upgrade ... it sounds like an interesting project
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #4
Scrambled
Not Yet Wild

ThreeCW-

Yes it is the same Cushman cart.

I have have ignored the cart for several years. Now it is time to try and fix it. I ordered all the parts and got new batteries from Rural King.

I installed 6 new batteries and tried the cart out. My driveway is 1500 feet long, and the cart drove down and barely made it back.

When I turned the key on, I can hear the original solenoid switch turn on.

I have attached a picture of the data plate.

I had planned on getting everything finished during the 4th holiday weekend, but I don’t think that is going to happen.

I have tried to find a wiring diagram, but I could not find one

Thanks for the help

SteveIMG_5375.jpg

Old 07-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
Scrambled
Not Yet Wild

Here is a picture of the forward and reverse switch

Steve

Old 07-07-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Scrambled
Not Yet Wild

Try number 2 on pictures IMG_5376.jpg

Old 07-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

Here is a manual for a Titan ... but not for your exact model (the next model after yours). There might be some things in common with yours. The wiring diagram is near the end of this document.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cushman Titan Manual.pdf (1.74 MB, 0 views)
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
Scrambled
Not Yet Wild

threeCW

I looked at the manual you sent me, that cart has several more wires than my Cushman.

The existing controller has 4 large lugs, and 3 push on spade terminals.

Does anyone have any ideas?

There is also a small circuit board I don’t know what it is

I have attached several additional pictures.

Steve

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts