lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
card_claud
Not Yet Wild

Default OnBoard Computer

Hi everyone!

Please, could someone help me, I wonder what the onboard computer is ? What it do ?

I have seen there are many models (or part numbers), and some of them fews things (wires) had changed, is that true ? Someone knows how many types there are ?

Why it sense the current going to the control PWM ?

Thanks for your attention!

Cláudio.
card_claud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
ecctech
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: OnBoard Computer

are you speaking of a specific cart or just knowledge of what the controller is?
ecctech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by card_claud View Post
Hi everyone!

Please, could someone help me, I wonder what the onboard computer is ? What it do ?

I have seen there are many models (or part numbers), and some of them fews things (wires) had changed, is that true ? Someone knows how many types there are ?

Why it sense the current going to the control PWM ?

Thanks for your attention!

Cláudio.
Claudio. Welcome to BGW. I'll be glad to help you understand what the Onboard computer is and what it do.

It do the following:

It controls the charger and monitors battery pack voltage to properly turn the charger on and off as needed while the cart is plugged into the charger.

It also supplies power to the controller. The reason it do this is because it's got a safety feature built in that won't allow the car to run while charging. The onboard computer turns off power to the control circuit of the controller while it's charging.

The reason for different part numbers is due to the fact that there are so many different model cars with different battery configurations.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
card_claud
Not Yet Wild

Hi.

I saw many clubcars manuals, and in the most of them the OBC is has some kind of diference. And would like to know how it works.

thanks
Old 04-03-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
card_claud
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeDawgZ71 View Post
Claudio. Welcome to BGW. I'll be glad to help you understand what the Onboard computer is and what it do.
Thanks David !!!

Quote:
It controls the charger and monitors battery pack voltage to properly turn the charger on and off as needed while the cart is plugged into the charger.
It just turn ON and Turn OFF ( the relay inside the charger)when necessary ? Similiar a timer board in the Lester charger ?

Quote:
It also supplies power to the controller. The reason it do this is because it's got a safety feature built in that won't allow the car to run while charging. The onboard computer turns off power to the control circuit of the controller while it's charging.
Yeahh I realize it, I think some models turn off the main solenoide, other just send a sign to the controller, no ?

Quote:
The reason for different part numbers is due to the fact that there are so many different model cars with different battery configurations.
The batery current is important, or just the batery voltage ?

Why it works sensing the current that are going to the controller ?

Thanks again.

Cláudio.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Yes it turns the relay on and off when necessary. Newer versions of the OBC will turn off and sample the pack voltage more often than older models throughout the charge cycle.

Different OBCs perform the solenoid lockout features different ways. Some kill the negative to solenoid. Some kill the positive to controller.

It runs to the controller post because it's used as a junction block for all of the main negative wires. It helps keep the terminal of the battery from having so many wires on them. The reason it runs through the center of the OBC is because that's where the voltage sensor is located. Around the edges of that hole that's in it.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
card_claud
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
It runs to the controller post because it's used as a junction block for all of the main negative wires. It helps keep the terminal of the battery from having so many wires on them. The reason it runs through the center of the OBC is because that's where the voltage sensor is located. Around the edges of that hole that's in it.
I see, so it is "current" sensor , no ? And why, what it does with this information ?
Old 04-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by card_claud View Post
I see, so it is "current" sensor , no ? And why, what it does with this information ?
It determines the state of charge and tells the charger when to turn on and off.
Old 04-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #9
card_claud
Not Yet Wild

David, so sorry for too many questions... and I am very glad you are helping me to understand.

If I change the batery pack, if I used another one with diferent capacity, it makes diference to my OBC ?
Old 04-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Yes. The software version is designed to properly charge a certain configuration. Let me know what you've got and what you want and I'll provide you with the correct part number.

Tags
computer, onboard
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car