lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
devybob
Gone Wild

Default western meter gauge voltage

I have a 42v western and want to change some gauges to new and different types but can't find any 42v gauges. I thought I read somewhere that western 42v uses 36 v gauges.
This dosen't make sense to me, but with golf carts you never know.
devybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: western meter gauge voltage

Go with a digital volt meter type and it won't matter whether it's 36, 42 or 48 volts.

Forget about the LED bar-graph types, I wouldn't recommend one of those to an ex-mother-in-law.

The old analog types are simply expanded scale voltmeters without numbers on the scale, so a 36V one can be persuaded to work at 42V.

Measure the resistance between the + and - terminals.
Divide the number of Ohms by 6 and add that amount of resistance in series with meter.
If the resistance isn't close to a standard value, use a trim-pot, or make your own fixed resistor.
To make your own, select a 1 or 2 Watt carbon resistor whose value is just below the desired value and file a "V" in the side about midway from the ends.
File little, measure often and blow the carbon dust out before measuring.
When you get the desired value, cover the exposed carbon core with red glyptal or nail polish to keep moisture out.

OR, you can add a 6.3V or 6.4V zener diode in series with the meter. (A fully charged 6V battery is 6.37V, so either will be in the ballpark)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: western meter gauge voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by devybob View Post
I have a 42v western and want to change some gauges to new and different types but can't find any 42v gauges. I thought I read somewhere that western 42v uses 36 v gauges.
This dosen't make sense to me, but with golf carts you never know.
Never made sense to me either but that is what they did.... the 36v bar graph meter (BGM) was connected to 6 of the 7 batteries and called good enough. The problem arises from some of the inherent problems with the Curtis 906 BGM.

It resets itself to the pack each time you charge so if you do not get a full charge you still have a full meter. And don't even call it metering! Take a voltmeter with you and check the pack voltage after one bar drops...... sometimes the pack is already at 30% discharged on the first bar and then well below the recommended 50% discharge at the second bar, But wait there are plenty of bars left

My meter will work fine with your cart and give realtime live voltage readings for you.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO