lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2014, 09:09 AM   #1
dcotton4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Getting ready to lift 1991 marathon

I am lifting my 91 marathon 4" and plan on putting 22x11x8 on my stock wheels. Will I need to space them out to clear everything or will they be fine? Any other tips on things to do? Thanks, DAve
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #2
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Getting ready to lift 1991 marathon

if You're using your stock rims, you'll need a minimum of 1" spacers on the rear to keep the 22X11's from rubbing - Personally, with my older Marathon projects, I used to run 5" lift kits and I'd put 2" spacers all around, it widened the stance and made for much more stable handling plus looked cool as heck (I'm not sure if the 2" would work on the front with just a 4" lift though, never tried it) ...

Another option would be to replace the rear rims with a set of offset rims, they're around $16 each for the stock-style metal ones - but it's really a matter of taste. Some people like the wider look that spacers give, some like to keep the width as close to stock as possible. Either way though You'll need at least an inch on each side in the rear.

The only other real hint is to make sure as You're jacking up the rear to do the lift that all your cables and hoses, wiring, etc aren't pulled or pinched - the stock setup will take the lift but I've seen a few times where someone along the way has replaced wiring, hoses, etc and shortened them up to clean up the engine compartment, then when it comes lift time they have to be made longer again. Go slow and keep an eye on things as You go, chances are You'll be fine but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on. Torn wiring is generally a LOT harder to replace than it is to just lengthen the good wiring.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

This is one of my first Marathon lifts back in the day - this is what 22X11-8's look like with a 5" lift and 2" spacers

BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

You can get the 8"-diameter,steel wheels in stock width(7"-no offset on stock wheels), with a 2"/5" or 3"/4" Offset.That way you get the same look from the tire,as to going to an 8" wide rim,and the rims are usually alot cheaper than spacers.They offer them in a bunch of colors too.I run the 2"/5", They dont stick out much,but give plenty of clearance,and a nice stance.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
dcotton4
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the replies they helped a bunch. I went ahead and ordered some new wheels. I figured why pay 98.00 for the spacers when I got new chrome wheels with a 3/5 offset for 122.00 and free shipping! Dave
dcotton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO