lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-27-2015, 08:00 AM   #1
Drrhein
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Inherent instability of certain Club Car Lift kits.

Non factory lifted Club Cars are delivered with a very stable rear axle system without any tendencies to rotate the motor/axle assembly. This is achieved by a welded riser on the axle being securely bolted with a U-bolt to the leaf spring. The problem arises when economy aftermarket lift kits are installed which move the welded riser from being bolted to the spring to being slung under the spring and bolted to a plate over the axle with a non-welded riser between the axle and spring. Add taller tires and under heavy braking the axle/motor wants to rotate forward, this rotation pulls on the brake lines and can cause brake lockup and ultimate brake system failure.

Often, single seat Club Cars are upgraded to two seats with no consideration either on the part of the seat kit builders or owners toward the increased loads on the cart. Club Car recommends the addition of two or three leaf spring sets any time the second seat kit is added, but most of the time this is never done exacerbating the axle rotation problem further because of the tendency of a single spring to flex excessively under heavy stress.

Adding to this is the fact the original shock mount plate, which in the original factory configuration was not subjected to excessive forces, is made of mild steel and is not appropriate for being used in the relocated configuration because proper torquing of the U-bolt can not be achieved due to the deformation of the plate.

A proper lift kit comes with two sets of four bolt heat-treated plates attached above and below the axle and does not attempt to reuse the original plates due to their lack of strength. Then proper torque of the bolts can be achieved providing proper clamping forces between the riser and the axle preventing axle/motor rotation.

The only solution for the problem with economy kits is to ensure the proper leaf springs are installed for the number of seats, a brake cable extension bracket is installed and, after ensuring proper geometry of the axle/motor assembly, weld the kit risers to the axle as were the original risers. Or replace the rear lift with the proper kit or four bolt plates.

A cart recently came to our shop which had the axle/motor assembly rotated forward a full 20 degrees. The brake lines were severely damaged, banjo tight and the brakes were locked. The shock mount plates were both deformed and the U-bolts bent beyond repair. Two people were significantly injured when going downhill at around ten miles per hour with four people on board a sudden brake application caused the brake lockup mentioned causing the cart to slew sideways throwing two people to the ground. This cart had a single leaf spring set.

If you have this type of kit and the failure is at hand, a good clue is brake lockup with pedal kickback. Further, it might be wise to check to see if proper clamping forces exist on your cart. A crowbar between the motor and axle pushed down should show if there is movement. If so STOP. DO NOT DRIVE THE CART!! Wear marks on the axle will often show on the axle where the assembly has been moving. Check to see if proper torque exists on the U-bolt nuts. Minimum of thirty foot pounds for 7/16-14, if the nuts keep turning without achieving proper torque and the plate bends - you have the problem, and a satisfactory degree of safety will not be obtained.
Drrhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Inherent instability of certain Club Car Lift kits.

A very good post! (a bit "wordy"... but still worth reading!)
If let go too long, even more catastrophic things can happen!

Here's a thread that proves it!:

Click on this blue link>>>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-sparkies.html
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 01:22 PM   #3
Drrhein
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Your thread is probably what would be the worst case of, as you said, "Let it go too long." Looks to me like you went back with four bolt plates, which I said was clearly the best option.

Did you purchase the plates as part of a kit or by themselves?
Drrhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:55 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drrhein View Post
Did you purchase the plates as part of a kit or by themselves?
Yeah... THAT was as extreme as you can get, I hope no one else lets it go that far!

It's an All Sports "Super Sport" rear lift, it comes complete with everything, U bolts, plates, etc. it's the only 4 U bolt setup I've ever seen!
Cart Parts Plus is always my "go to" place to get them!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:37 PM   #5
rsuddeth
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Do you know of a good source for 4 bolt plates?
rsuddeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Cart Parts Plus!

Click>>>> http://www.cartpartsplus.com/

It may not be on their website, so you may have to call them directly!

Old 09-21-2015, 08:14 PM   #7
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the post. I am appalled at what I'm seeing done on my very first cart. Bought it from a private party who bought it from a cart shop who did the typical eye candy lift/rear seat/tires/brush guard routine.

Called the cart shop to question them about the lift. They said it was a Jake's, the only one they use. E-mailed Jake with a photo and they said "Nope, cheap knockoff." China tires on the thing are cracking like no tire I've seen before. Pulled the brush guard off only to find out the super cheesy way they attached it. Shock mounts are bending down. With four on the cart a bump will bottom it out on the single leaf.

Then I read the forum and see how I can go faster with nothing more then a cheap E-Bay magnet that might even explode if it was really a cheap one that was broken apart and then epoxy back together in some unknown third world factory. Plus, it would eliminate any down hill braking that the regen motor was made for, and the operator would have to rely only on their two old school 6 inch drum brakes possibly on larger heavy tire/rim combo that the cart was never designed to run, with a center of gravity 6-12 inches higher then initial designed.

What comes to my mind with some of these cheaply E-Bay modified carts is the words of Ralph Nader "unsafe at any speed."

On edit:
While I had Jake's attention I asked if I could buy just their four bolt hole back bracket. They said they didn't sell that but would sell the whole lift. I assume they didn't want to take on the liability for someone else's lift kit.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #8
cartattach
Gone Wild
Club Car

The magnets are proven safe and effective, assuming you use one made as a 4 pole unit and not put together with spit, glue and rubber bands. I sell them, as do several other sponsors of the site. While I can't speak for them, I have sold somewhere in the thousands and have never had a customer experience a failure. I think we all know that there are cheap chinese knockoffs for everything ever made, and choosing to use that stuff in some cases my be hazardous to your health.....however lumping all the parts together and calling them cheap ebay whatevers isn't taking into consideration those of us who sell quality, American made products. And I would also ask you if you see all these folks who drive big lifted trucks on the road upgrading the brake systems on their vehicles to handle the 35" Mud terrain tires they now ride on.....and the answer would be a resounding no they don't. Properly maintained factory brakes are more than capable of stopping even 6 inch lifted carts with 23" tires with little more than normal effort. The key to this is, PROPERLY MAINTAINED. Most people make the assumption that you just plug it in and drive it. That's why many of us make a living fixing carts.
cartattach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
Cruise Master
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartattach View Post
... I think we all know that there are cheap chinese knockoffs for everything ever made, and choosing to use that stuff in some cases my be hazardous to your health.....however lumping all the parts together and calling them cheap ebay whatevers isn't taking into consideration those of us who sell quality, American made products...
The problem with E-bay is there is no symbol for the guys with the white hats vs the black hats. There is NO REAL BUYER FEEDBACK. There is no Consumer reports to reference.

Most E-Bay buyers do a search, with a sort on price. Cheapest win, that's how you make money on E-Bay. It concerns me with the cart builds how many buy the cheapest "stuff" then flip the cart to a newbie. That will max profit which is the focus of some.
Cruise Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Upgraded to the Allsports SS 4 U-bolt system this weekend. Click the build link in my signature for details...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car