lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-01-2015, 04:11 PM   #1
Bluznvice
Not Yet Wild

Default Newly rescued Workhorse 1200G in need of help!

Hello – total newbie here. I’m so glad I found this forum! I can tell that I’ll be spending a LOT of time here starting now.
I’m a recent new owner of a “rescued” EZ-GO Workhorse 1200G. Serial number 1511525. MFR Code H302. So far, I think it’s a 2002 with a 350cc 4 cycle engine.
Here’s the problem (and the reason it’s been rescued). It runs, but very slowly and with hardly any power to pull any kind of incline. When going downhill, there is occasional surging, but with a pretty nasty “rattly/grindy” noise. Previous owners said the governor was removed or bypassed, and in fact it was pretty fast prior to breaking down. So, they took it to the golf cart repair place. They were told the transaxle is toast and had to be completely replaced, which would cost more than the cart is worth. So they bought a new one and gave this one to me – just cuz I’m a nice guy I guess. I’m fairly handy and probably have all the tools I would need.
I’d appreciate any help in getting this cart running good again, so I can really start having fun with it!
Bluznvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Newly rescued Workhorse 1200G in need of help!

Before I went straight to replacing the transaxle and assuming that it isn't obviously the issue, I would start by checking the engine thoroughly. Compression, valve adjustment, fuel flow from pump, carb clean and working properly. Once that it complete, I would then measure belt width (1 3/16") and move to observing for proper drive and driven clutch operation. If all that checks out, then tackle the rear end. Just my thoughts. Many times an "expert" will tell someone a "diagnosis" based on whether they want to work on the cart or not........ make sense? I'm not at all saying that the rear end isn't hosed, just that there are several things you can check that will more accurately point to the problem.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

First thing I would check is the rear hubs to make sure they are not stripped. Jack up the rear and put it on stands. Pull the wheels and hit the go pedal. Does it act normal? If yes, hold the brake pedal down and hit the go pedal. Do either of the castle nuts turn and the hub doesn't? If yes, that hub is stripped. If no and you hear grinding your have rear issues
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #4
Bluznvice
Not Yet Wild

Both excellent suggestions. I completely understand about the tech issue. On one hand I'm hoping they're right, and on the other hand that they're wrong. We'll see.

I'll probably check the hubs first since it sounds easy. If they check out OK, can you point me to a good resource for the engine check procedures and specs?

Thanks!
Bluznvice is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO