lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-28-2016, 10:28 PM   #11
Lightninlarry
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: FE290 Loud After Rebuild

Check the side play of the crankshaft...had a similar noise once and it ended up being one of the side play shims. I remember it was the one on the flywheel side that wears first. Not sure...
Lightninlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
Engman69
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks for all the responses. Will let you know what I find. The first issue is to find another motor... anyone got a spare FE290 or FE350 lying around? LOL
Engman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:50 PM   #13
mrlmd
Gone Wild

Your noise is similar to mine which developed a while ago and I never had a rebuild, my engine runs fine. (this thread - http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...n-problem.html). So I would be really be interested in what you find as the cause of your noise.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:40 AM   #14
Engman69
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I asked the guys at Porcellato Engineering to take a look at the video. Brad responded and said it's the link arm bearings. I did not rebuild the crank when the engine was apart so the link arms didn't get new bearings. Not a real swift move on my part. Now I'm debating whether to go back into it myself or send it off to the shop in Canada and have them do it.

The two biggest factors for me is my ability to disassemble the crank and the cost of having the work done. 700-800 US (full rebuild, head milled, plus engine dyno). I'm confident I can rebuild the crank but would have to buy a press and the parts. Been wanting a press though...
Engman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:40 AM   #15
mrlmd
Gone Wild

I got a quote from the local shop down here for a warrantied brand new engine for $989.
Mine runs fine, is just noisy, so I'm going to run it 'till something drastic happens to it. I've replaced all the external parts I can easily do and the noise is still there, I'm not going to rip it apart just yet.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #16
hondarider203
Gone Wild

Club Car

There is always a much bigger pride and pleasure when you do the work yourself. Imo
hondarider203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:47 AM   #17
mrlmd
Gone Wild

I know that, but I just do not know where to look and neither does the mechanic by talking to him or showing him a video, so just to rip apart my engine right now does not seem necessary to me at the present time.
And the PO has to decide if his time and effort is worth $200 for his rebuild vs. new, and may not solve his problem.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:49 AM   #18
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engman69 View Post
I asked the guys at Porcellato Engineering to take a look at the video. Brad responded and said it's the link arm bearings. I did not rebuild the crank when the engine was apart so the link arms didn't get new bearings. Not a real swift move on my part....
Whoa... that's weird!

I've watched pretty much all of their videos...
IF... I were to do anything more to my FE350, THEY would be the one I'd send it too!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
villebacker
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I guess that I will show my ignorance but what is the link arm? Rebuilt my FE290 before and been through the manual a few times and have not heard this term used for any of the parts.
villebacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #20
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Take a look at Porcellato's you tube rebuild.I had never heard of those parts either, but you can see that would be something critical in the engine's rebuild. Hey learn something many times by following BGW.
raydhd is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fe290, hammer, loud, rebuild
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car