lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-08-2016, 02:33 PM   #1
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Yamaha G1 Homemade or Improvised tools

I just finished a complete rebuild of my G1 Golf Cart engine, both top and bottom. I was able to improvise or make most of the special tools except the Clutch (primary sheave) puller which I bought from Amazon for $22 (also available on eBay). Here are pictures of the various tools I used or made:

Pic #1. Puller available on free loan from O'Reilly Auto Parts Stores.
Pic #2. Using O'Reilly puller to remove magneto.
Pic #3. None of the O'Reiily tools had bolts long enough to adapt directly as the case separator tool so I borrowed their steering wheel puller and added perforated plumber tape to bridge to some shorter bolts I already had. Worked like a champ.
Pic #4. My homemade clutch (primary sheave) holder. Simply a strap wrench I made from an old serpentine belt (an old timing belt would also work well). I clamp it to the hardwood handle with some scrap plates I had but you could make your own or use C clamps or even vise grips to secure the belt to the handle. I made the straps long enough so it can also hold the magneto or secondary sheave or adapt to other future projects. In the foreground I show the commercially made clutch remover tool. This would also be simple to fabric with a length of rod and a bolt but the fine thread is not available in a 14mm bolt (at least not around my area).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1O'reilly ool shot.jpg (119.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2mag puller2.jpg (162.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3Case Seperator 2.jpg (159.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4Sheave holder:puller.jpg (195.5 KB, 0 views)
twobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #2
Field6565
Gone Wild

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Homemade or Improvised tools

Nice job! Sometimes you have to be creative to get the job done. You should start up a build thread.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 05:52 PM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

argeed the 14mm-1.0 pitch bolt witch is the thread for clutch puller is impossible to find
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #4
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

If I'm not mistaken, you can use a spark plug as the thread is 14mm. You'll have to modify it of course.

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
If I'm not mistaken, you can use a spark plug as the thread is 14mm. You'll have to modify it of course.
yes, a spark plug is 14mm thread but its a 1.5 pitch the clutch is 1.0
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:27 AM   #6
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Nice job! G1's are super easy to work on, I really enjoyed rebuilding mine. I did like you and made some tools. Still have them in the tool box, and I labeled them "Special G1 Tools" lol. IMO Yamaha carts are the best engineered carts out there, but they do require an arsenal of tools. Once you have them, you're good to go!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 Homemade tools-Crank installer

I recently posted pictures of some homemade/improvised tools I used to rebuild my Yamaha G-1 engine. I inadvertently neglected to include the crank installer I made, so here it is. Total cost $.95.

I bought a foot of 1 1/4" ABS plastic pipe, cut a 6 1/2" length, and used the original long clutch (sheave) bolt to draw the crank through the bearing. The pipe bears perfectly on the inner race of the bearing . There is about 1 1/2" of thread on that long bolt and I tried to keep at least 3/4" min in the crank, drawing up a little at a time and adding spacers as required (washers, various length sockets etc). The pipe wrench keeps the crank from rotating and the rubber bands keep the rod centered. I can't imagine a commercial unit working any better.

BTW, I cut a shorter piece of pipe and used the same method to draw the case halves together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Best.jpg (149.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Exploded.jpg (141.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-19-2016, 01:16 PM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Nice!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:09 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I love it! BGW members are so smart
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 12:14 PM   #10
twobore
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

DIY PRIMARY SHEAVE HOLDER and MAGNETO HOLDER FOR G1 ENGINE

Here's a couple more home made tools to add to the one's I've already posted:

1. The sheave holder (top) is made from an old fan belt, a scrap of 1 X 2 hardwood, some 1” screws, and 10” - 12” 3/8” threaded rod. A small piece of the fan belt is contact cemented to the curved wood piece that engages the sheave.

2. At bottom of picture #4, is shown a holder for the magneto to keep it from rotating when removing the large mag crankshaft nut. It bolts up to the face of the mag utilizing two of the three threaded holes provided for pulling the mag. I made it from a scrap of 1 1/4 wide X 3/16” thick metal about 10” long using a hand drill and a grinder. To use it requires removing the plastic fan from the mag (6 small bolts). Sorry I don’t have a picture of it in use.

Both of these tools work as well as their commercial equivalents.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (185.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (175.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (106.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (95.3 KB, 0 views)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha