lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2016, 02:35 PM   #21
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Does a display for Series Motor Temp exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
...Just have to find a solder type (non-insulated) ring terminal for wires roughly the same diameter as the sensor diameter.

Or like I do, cut the insulation off of the insulated ring terminal. PITB but works great in a pinch - or if you only need "one" like in this case. 👍 Of course Scotty probably has all this stuff laying around. Lol

I'm not against drilling through the motor if it means I can get more accurate real-time temps. Lots of good suggestions coming in this post, I'm confident something good will come out this.

I guess I'm right back one of my earlier questions; that is, more times than not - what usually fails first... Is it the brushes? That will make a difference in where I would want to mount an internal probe.
UncleJerm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #22
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Does a display for Series Motor Temp exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJerm76 View Post
1. Or like I do, cut the insulation off of the insulated ring terminal. PITB but works great in a pinch - or if you only need "one" like in this case. 👍 Of course Scotty probably has all this stuff laying around. Lol

2. I'm not against drilling through the motor if it means I can get more accurate real-time temps. Lots of good suggestions coming in this post, I'm confident something good will come out this.

3. I guess I'm right back one of my earlier questions; that is, more times than not - what usually fails first... Is it the brushes? That will make a difference in where I would want to mount an internal probe.

2. If you do drill through the case and insert a temperature sensor inside the motor, make sure it is well secured, there are very powerful magnetic fields inside and not much clearance between spinning armature and stationary pole shoes. Also, the aforementioned magnetic fields might wreak havoc on the readings from the sensor.

3. The armature in my stock PDS motor exploded when I overheated it while spinning in excess of 8,000RPM. Not sure if the brushes were effected or not, couldn't get the motor disassembled far enough to see them.

The guys at PQ, D&D or EMP might be able to answer that question.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:48 AM   #23
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I was at McMaster Carr yesterday and added this to my order .... http://www.mcmaster.com/#4141K11

With a 300º range and 10ft lead it is a good prospect.

Drilling a hole in the case to insert the probe appeals to me as a way to get positive contact with the case. A little JB weld around the hole and I think the probe would be quite secure and effective.
Of course the proper location of the hole would be critical and I don't know where that would be. Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ABCtemp.JPG (10.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #24
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I was at McMaster Carr yesterday and added this to my order .... http://www.mcmaster.com/#4141K11

With a 300º range and 10ft lead it is a good prospect.

Drilling a hole in the case to insert the probe appeals to me as a way to get positive contact with the case. A little JB weld around the hole and I think the probe would be quite secure and effective.
Of course the proper location of the hole would be critical and I don't know where that would be. Suggestions?
When you get your hands on it, measure the diameter of the metal probe.

The specs say it is 3/16", but that is mighty thick, so I suspect it might be the diameter of the insulation just upstream from the actual sensor.

-------------
If you have a IR thermometer, look for the hottest spot(s) on the case about 5 minutes after a hard run.
Old 05-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #25
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

10-4
Old 05-11-2016, 07:28 PM   #26
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Johnie 5/32 is the answer. I received this meter today, You gotta love McMaster Carr. One frustrating thing is the probe will not lay flat on a flat surface..... the silicone housing where the wires join is significantly larger in diam. than the probe so ... when you lay the probe on a surface only the tip is actually contacting the surface. AHRG...thought about wrapping the probe with metal duct tape to increase diam. But in the end just taped the dang thing to the motor and proceeded to run the dog poop out of Momma's cart

6 miles later on a grueling course of 30º inclines and tire skidding regen inputs my 502:1 motor case reached 142º and continued to rise after it was parked to 150º but my HF handheld infrared gun said it was 162º, whichever it was - it was too hot to hold. the meter seemed to respond quickly to temperature changing influences like regen dump.
I can tell you this, once the motor gets hot it quickly gets hotter...

This cart 2008 42v PDS, XCT500 control, 25mph top speed, gobs of torque
Old 05-11-2016, 08:54 PM   #27
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Does a display for Series Motor Temp exist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
...motor case reached 142º and continued to rise after it was parked...
...I can tell you this, once the motor gets hot it quickly gets hotter...

Exactly why I'm looking to get internal temp!

I took my motor out yesterday and found this convenient spot on the cap that looks like it was meant for a temp probe. I popped off the cap and sure enough there was plenty of clearance to the brushes behind it.

...Tools ...Toys (same thing) :)
Old 05-11-2016, 09:48 PM   #28
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That's cool

I really had to push it to get from 85 -100º but once she hit 100 it was up, up, and up. Easy like a cheap date on good whiskey
Old 05-12-2016, 09:20 AM   #29
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

5/32 is 0.15625", so epoxied into a ring terminal for 6Ga wire with JB Weld and attached to case under one of the pole shoe mounting bolts, ought to work as well as what I'm doing now.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:51 AM   #30
UncleJerm76
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
5/32 is 0.15625", so epoxied into a ring terminal for 6Ga wire with JB Weld and attached to case under one of the pole shoe mounting bolts, ought to work as well as what I'm doing now.

I think my pole shoes are pressed into the case without any external bolts?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts