lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #1
kirbdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Noise at higher RPMs

Hi all, New member but have learned a lot of stuff just by lurking. I just picked up a 2001 CC ds gas last week. Been a long time since I played around with gas carts. Used to do some basic stuff when I worked at a golf course in high school when we had Yamaha G2s.

I have a few questions but will start with this one. Zip tie on the governor gets me up to 16mph. At about a 14-15 mph it gets louder with a slight metallic sound to it. There is also a bit of a bounce to the cart when I get up to this speed. Thought the sound might be coming from the clutch. I have a video, the sound is there but not quite as prominent in neutral. Thinking it might be the clutch.

thanks for the help

youtube.com/watch?v=smyITHrbIG8
kirbdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
kirbdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Noise at higher RPMs

put a shortened version of the link. Won't let me post links yet.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

It's kind of hard to tell... is it the high pitch scraping noise?

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #4
kirbdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not really, and I know it's pretty subtle in this video. Sounds more like the "tink" sound when the clutch first engages. I suck at describing sounds. It also looks like the clutch moves in and out just a little at full throttle. There is also a slight bounce to the cart at 16mph but I was going to let a bit of air out of the tires and see if helps. The engine sounds like it surges a bit at 16mph but I figured it may be more related to the bounce since it is in rhythm with the bounce. I think my big problem is I haven't drove other CCs to tell the difference.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #5
kirbdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

misread your post. I guess it would be the scraping noise, I start to hear it at 17-18 secs into the video, most prominent at 24 secs
Old 10-08-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
kirbdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

took it for a ride around the neighborhood. The noise is a higher pitched metallic sound. Got rid of most of the bounce by letting a little air out of the tires.
Old 10-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
cruisinkruty
Gone Wild
Club Car

are the plastic bushings in place on the driven member of the torque converter.
cruisinkruty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
kirbdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well, finally got it figured out. Took it back to the guy I bought it from. He put it a new clutch which helped one of the noises but not the growling at higher speed. He thought it was the input shaft bearing or one of the bearings in the rear end so he pulled the rear end and sent it off to have all the bearings replaces. Turns out that didn't help so he replaced the driven clutch which took care of it. So it was some clutch, and mostly driven clutch and got new bearings and a freshly painted gear case. He told me he took the zip tie off the governor spring because it was running a lot faster. I took it out, before it would run 16 on stock tires now runs 21 flat surface and 23 with some down hill. The only problem is the tiny tach read 4800 rpm at 23 mph. Will have to make sure I don't go to heavy on the gas.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:57 PM   #9
Hannibal_Kahne
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

My 07 Precedent makes the same sounds at higher RPM. Do you have to change out the entire drive clutch, or can you just replace the Drive Clutch Idler bearing? $50 vs. $250+

Didn't want to have to spend the money to change the whole drive clutch if I could just solve this with bearing replacement.
Hannibal_Kahne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 08:59 PM   #10
kirbdoc
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

It was the Driven clutch causing most of my problems. After it was replaced the loud higher RPM noise went away.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car