lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-15-2016, 10:36 PM   #1
aven2rus
Not Yet Wild

Default Sparks only once and then nothing

I have gone through the entire wire harness opening it checking and repairing to verify no breaks or shorts and verifying every ground. After numerous repairs I got it to where it will turn over in both directions but won't start.

Pulled the plug to find it spark once at the start then nothing after that while it turns over.

I fixed a shorted brush in the starter/generator that was burning wires and blowing the ground fuse. Could that have damaged the coil or CDI?

I still have the front section of the harness out and plugged into the pedal and Key switch out so access to trouble shoot, just not sure where to start.
aven2rus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
aven2rus
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Sparks only once and then nothing

I have done the tests outline here and all good.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...magneto-2.html

With the exception of testing the ignition coil, I can't seem to locate the test for this. Anyone know the procedure?
Old 11-16-2016, 02:56 PM   #3
aven2rus
Not Yet Wild

Found these test below on an ebay ad for CDI and ran down through them, some where already done form the previous link from here.

Everything test correct with the exception of a test I did on the ignition coil. I test correct on the Primary side but nothing showing on the Secondary side.

So thinking coil before I bite on the CDI if not purley based on cost.

I'm I missing anything?

Black Wire to Ground ~0 Ω

Black/White Wire to Black Wire Grounded with key "off" or throttle released; Open with key in Forward or Reverse and throttle depressed

Brown Wire to Black Wire ~350 Ω

Orange Wire to Black Wire ~1 Ω

White/Red Wire to Black Wire Open with key "off"; Grounded with key in "Forward"; ~15 Ω with key in "Reverse"

White/Green Wire to Black Wire Open with key "off"; ~15 Ω with key in "Forward"; Grounded with key in "Reverse"
Old 11-18-2016, 07:16 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

The flywheel & pickup coil are original? Have you ever seen it run in its current configuration? Mismatched parts will do some funny stuff
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
aven2rus
Not Yet Wild

Yes all original and ran on these parts.

A friend sent it to shop and was told it needed brushes. Then went back to find "it had electrical issue's". I got it with everything related to the generator disconnected.

Wired to the schematic to find it had a dead short blowing the ground fuse and burning ground wires.

Found the short in the generator they replaced brushes in, brush wire up against the housing. No more short following that fix.

I then open the entire harness to repair wires, verify continuity, locate to schematic and have since resistance tested at CDI to info I found here.

New coil came in and still no spark.

Not sure how to rest magneto other than the ohm test I performed. What should I look for there?

I also ordered a CDI because I understood it can not be tested that you eliminate everything else first.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:29 PM   #6
aven2rus
Not Yet Wild

New CDI and spark is back and running.

So after working through it fixing the issues caused buy a shops poor diagnostic and failed rebuild of the starter/generator burning it up I have it back to poor running condition it went in for.

I have found a leaky crank seal after realizing the fuel pump was not moving enough fuel.

Moving on the crank seal and found great info here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha