lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-03-2016, 05:32 PM   #1
kevjriley
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 wires coming from engine

Let me first say I know nothing about used gas golf carts. I just bought a piece of junk use one for a couple hundred bucks it's an early 1980 Yamaha G1. I'm taking apart cleaning everything and putting it back together doesn't run it's probably electrical problem. The only thing I've noticed is coming from the bottom of the engine block are 4 wires coming out 3 are coded one seems to be a bare wire and it's only about 4 inches long and it's not attached to anything. I don't know if this is a ground wire or what it should be connected to but this may be my problem.
kevjriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-04-2016, 02:34 AM   #2
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 wires coming from engine

Not really enough info to do any sound troubleshooting - but just based on the fact that you said its 4 wires coming from the engine....... I'm gonna take a wild stab in the dark and guess it's your wires coming from the CDI Magneto.

Take a look at the attached wiring diagram. The area circled in yellow is what I think you might be seeing. Compare the colors of the wires there to what you see coming from the engine - if the colors match, then that's it.

Br = Brown;
W/R = White with a Red stripe;
W/G = White with a Green stripe;
and B = Black.

If the bare wire is the Black wire (it should be grounded) - then yes, it is possible that it is your problem (or a problem, or one of your problems). If the ground wire is off then the CDI magneto can't do it's magneto thing. If it can't do it magneto thing, then the CDI ignition can't fire the plug. It's plausible.

Tell us what you see.
R/Todd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg G1 yamaha-G1-wiring-diagram-4 wires from Engine.jpg (143.6 KB, 0 views)
Prowlerguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #3
kevjriley
Not Yet Wild

Yes the color coding on the other three wires matches this seems to be coming out of what I would consider the bottom of the engine block I did not know that that was the Magneto. Now the big question is how do I replace that wire because I don't know how to get to where the wire is connected. I did find a ground wire just hanging out that is connected to several other areas that I guess it should be connected to. But I can't just connect that to the bare wire coming out can I. Thanks a lot for your help so far.
Old 12-04-2016, 11:06 PM   #4
MickandLori
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

You've got to pull the fly wheel to get to the mag.
MickandLori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:34 AM   #5
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Can you send a pic of the wires coming out?

Is there a grounding post nearby to where the bare wire is hanging? If there is, look it over - it's possible that the black wire vibrated off, shook loose, or got ripped from the ground lug.

It sounds like the black wire coming from the magneto is now the bare wire. The question is, how did it get bare? Did the insulation burn off? Did the wire break off of a grounding lug/post and the insulation pulled off? if the bare wire looks like the insulation burned off of it - I'd be suspicious of a bad electrical component somewhere. If it looks clean-ish - just dust and dirt, then it's possible the wire just broke off it's ground lug.

If the bare wire is the black wire (assuming it is - but no guarantee) - then just clean off the bare wire, slide a sleeve of shrink wrap over it as far as you can, crimp a new connector to it and screw it to something that is grounded. you can ground it to the frame - just make sure that your cart has the frame grounded.

Alternatively, crimp on a black wire extension and run a new wire to any grounding lug, or grounding post you can find.

Then (at your own risk) try it. First, check your fuse(s) and make sure you have a good fuse(s) in the fuse holder(s). They shouldn't be any larger than 10 Amp fuses - I think that's what most of the stock carts had/used. Then, see if it starts/runs.

If you see the magic smoke coming out of something (or smell electrical burning) disconnect the battery post (or pull the fuse). If there is a problem, the fuse should melt/blow first.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:53 AM   #6
kevjriley
Not Yet Wild

There is a a ground wire just hanging there not attached to anything. I removed a lot dirt, sticks and other debris from the undercarriage and think maybe this was because the wire was torn lose...the bare wire is clean and looks stripped. I will slip a shrink sleeve over the wire and then crimp it onto the ground wire and try that. I have to finish cleaning the carb, air filter system, and I am replacing the starter belt so it may be a day before I can fire it up.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:03 AM   #7
Prowlerguy1
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Yup, it sounds like you are correct - if there was branches and other stuff in the area, it might have just gotten torn off. Give it a try when you get the other stuff ready. Sounds like you're headed in the right direction.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha