lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
Hannibal_Kahne
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 07 Precedent not firing

This is my first post, but it's been a long time coming. Bought this 07 in 2012 and has ran fine until the last year (most of 2016). I used the "zip tie" method to get some more speed when I got it. Everything running fine. I put on 6" lift and tires too.

The only problem it's been having is that it just goes "blub, blub, blub..." when trying to start. Same with choke in/out. Naturally, I assumed it's either fuel or spark. I noticed the fuel filter bulb would be completely empty when this would happen. So, I changed standard vacuum fuel pump to a in-line electric pump (low pressure, somewhere around 4psi). Everything working great...for a while. Now it has fuel, but is not starting. have changed about a half dozen spark plugs hoping that would solve it.

I also want to point out that this happens after it's been running. Typically it starts with a little help from the choke and runs fine. It's like when it gets hot, it just sits there. I read somewhere that it was probably the coil getting hot??

A couple months ago, I took it to a mechanic and we changed the "coil with ignitor" on it. But, it still does the same thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, because I'm lost trying to diagnose this.
Serial number PR0728-778603
Thanks in advance.
Hannibal_Kahne is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #2
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Default Re: 07 Precedent not firing

Sounds like a bad RPM limiter. Unplug the RPM limiter from the kill wire (white wire running down the side of the engine) and disconnect it from the coil wire as well. The coil wire is behind the limiter. It's connected with a bullet connector to another black wire that runs directly to the ignition coil. With both of these wires disconnected, if the engine runs, the limiter is bad.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #3
Hannibal_Kahne
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thank you so much for replying.

I will try that. But like I said it starts fine when it's cold. Only does this when it's warm/hot and you come to a stop.

If I disconnect these while it's cold, I shouldn't have any problems with it if it is in fact the RPM limiter right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #4
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal_Kahne View Post
Thank you so much for replying.

I will try that. But like I said it starts fine when it's cold. Only does this when it's warm/hot and you come to a stop.

If I disconnect these while it's cold, I shouldn't have any problems with it if it is in fact the RPM limiter right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Typical RPM limiter failure. The hotter they get, the more likely they are to fail. I've had customers whose carts would run fine in the Winter but not run in the Summer months. The job of the RPM limiter is to ground the coil wire when the engine reaches 4000 RPM. This keeps the engine from firing, therefore keeps it from over revving. When the limiter fails, it randomly provides a ground signal to the coil, more so when it's hot than when it's cold. The procedure I described will remove the limiter from the circuit.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
Hannibal_Kahne
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

If I remove the rev limiter from the circuit, then I run the risk of damaging the engine, right? But if I back off the throttle adjustment to the gas pedal, will that keep the engine from over revving?

Is there a cheap tach that is available at typ auto parts stores that anyone recommends? Any tips on installing a tach?
Old 12-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #6
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal_Kahne View Post
If I remove the rev limiter from the circuit, then I run the risk of damaging the engine, right? But if I back off the throttle adjustment to the gas pedal, will that keep the engine from over revving?

Is there a cheap tach that is available at typ auto parts stores that anyone recommends? Any tips on installing a tach?
If the governor is working, the RPM limiter is completely unnecessary. A working governor will never let an engine see 4000 rpm if it's setup correctly. There are lots of people on here who have installed a tach on their carts. I've never done it so I couldn't tell you where to get one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car