lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-29-2017, 01:34 PM   #1
AFBob
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 2017 Yamaha PTV Extreme Tire Wear

After 23 engine hours on my 2017 Drive2 PTV, about 1/3 of my tread has worn down in the middle of the tire.

The manual states tire pressure should be 18 PSI. The tires (205/65-10) [20.5 X 8] are Loadstar B 4PR and state max pressure is 35PSI. The pressure in the tires (as delivered) was 24 PSI.

After seeing that the outer edges of the tire wasn't hitting the ground, I lowered the tire pressure to 19 PSI (front and rear). The rear tires are wearing evenly and the tires sit normally on the ground but the front tires still show the outer 1 to 1-1/2" of outer tread still don't touch the ground. I just lowered the pressure to 16 PSI and will see what happens.

Does anyone with the same cart/tires have the same issue? I've read that some people keep the front tire pressure between 10-14 PSI. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The wear (with only 23 engine hours) is horrible. My 2012 Yamaha Drive went 4 years on the same tires. Unless I can figure this problem out, I'll be replacing front tires every 6 months.
AFBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2017, 05:48 PM   #2
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Default Re: 2017 Yamaha PTV Extreme Tire Wear

I deal with that all the time with that tire, I run that tire at 32 PSI. Do an alignment on it and youll correct the issue.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You have to get the toe perfect to not have wear in front, though it should have been that way if you bought it new I would complain if so.

Typically lawn equipment says 12psi that is to keep the tread in contact with the ground and provide a little give, so 18 is not too bad a recommendation. Certainly there is less weight on the front of the cart as the drivetrain is all in the rear. In particular if you only have a driver on the cart much of the time.

I have 22 atv tires but run 12-15 in the rear and 7-8 in the fronts because of handling and the weight on the fronts. 15 in the rear give me more speed due to tire growth, also haul heavy loads that way better, but I don't run it that hard on trails because the ride is harder. Less air in the front makes it turn better on trails or the front slides more, and they are not sagging much at all because the front is so light, though these atv tires are pretty stiff to start with.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 07:10 PM   #4
AFBob
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golf cart guy View Post
I deal with that all the time with that tire, I run that tire at 32 PSI. Do an alignment on it and youll correct the issue.
I guess I'll call the dealer and schedule a pick-up. I didn't think the tires were wearing on just one side, but rather that the front ones are wearing the middle of the tire and both sides are off the ground. The steering wheel definitely needs to be aligned so I'll ask them to check out the alignment of the front wheels. Thanks.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
AFBob
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
You have to get the toe perfect to not have wear in front, though it should have been that way if you bought it new I would complain if so.

Typically lawn equipment says 12psi that is to keep the tread in contact with the ground and provide a little give, so 18 is not too bad a recommendation. Certainly there is less weight on the front of the cart as the drivetrain is all in the rear. In particular if you only have a driver on the cart much of the time.

I have 22 atv tires but run 12-15 in the rear and 7-8 in the fronts because of handling and the weight on the fronts. 15 in the rear give me more speed due to tire growth, also haul heavy loads that way better, but I don't run it that hard on trails because the ride is harder. Less air in the front makes it turn better on trails or the front slides more, and they are not sagging much at all because the front is so light, though these atv tires are pretty stiff to start with.
Thank you for the response. I was thinking of seeing how much air I had to let out of the front before both sides of the tire hit the ground. If you look at the picture of my cart, you'll notice the tires look like they're on a slant (bottoms further out than the front) but I have no idea if that's normal or not. I'll call the dealer and see what they can do. I purchased it about 4 months ago new so I'm hoping most of this stuff is under warranty.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The tires will wear in the center with high pressure, you are putting all the wear on 1-2" of tread it will wear faster (on hard surfaces, not as much on soft surface, and that is why they don't always pay attention to it on a golf cart intended to be run on grass). But you seem to be saying amazing wear and that is usually from the tires toe is off and they are aimed away or toward one another. Then they scrub sideways on the ground fighting each other and wear really fast. If you bought it new sure I'd be asking them if you really need to put new tires on a yamaha every 75 hours of use???? That should get them going. IMO yamaha is the best cart out there or very close, they just didn't get alighment right the first time. Grass or no grass, it still should have been right.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:36 PM   #7
AFBob
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

The dealer called me today and said that the pressure in ALL tires should be 18 PSI. They also said that the alignment (as shown in the picture I sent them) appeared normal and that the tires flatten once the cart is in forward motion. They also told me to remove the plastic piece covering the steering wheel (it just snaps off with a screwdriver), and then loosen the nut on the wheel, and then rock the steering wheel back and forth until it lifts up. Then remove the nut, align the steering wheel, and tighten the nut. I guess I'll try that since it sits 45 degrees to the left when the cart is going straight.

As far as the tires, all the wear on the front tires are in the middle so I can't tell if one side would wear more than the other. Hopefully, changing the pressure from the 24 PSI it had when it was delivered, to the 18 PSI the dealer recommends, I'll be able to tell if the tire alignment is OK. If the front tire edges don't touch the ground (I'll use chalk), then I'll just keep lowering the pressure until all tread touches the asphalt.

If anyone has any thoughts on what I should or shouldn't do, I'd appreciate the feedback.
Old 02-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #8
olson boy
Not Yet Wild

Have seen quite a few from the factory with the alignment way off causing the tires to wear like that. I set them at 1/16'' toed in. Also with the steering wheel crooked I would look at the steering knuckles and make sure the steering arms are flat and not bent.
olson boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Clueless. To do it right you turn the wheel all the way both directions then turn it half way back and that is the center of the steering box or rack. The steering wheel should be centered there. Then you move the tie rods to straighten the wheels, set your toe.

If you use the cart a lot with one person usually the passenger one will wear more, because your weight is on the driver tire and it grips and the other one slips more.

I loosened my tie rods (after making sure the steering box was in center) and drove it down a paved road fast. I turned the tires out and in until it drove strange, then dialed it in to where I wanted it with calm smooth steering at speed. But it does 38 gps on 22 tires so when its off, I certainly know it.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #10
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The 205X65X10 at 18 or 24 is way to low. Again I see it a lot and your issue a lot. Its not rocket science. Side wall of the tire will state 35PSI, the general rule is 10 percent plus or minus on the air pressure. Yamaha doesn't make the tire, the tire manufacturer knows what pressure the tire wants.
Its a simple fix
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tire pressure, tire wear
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha