lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-17-2017, 09:29 PM   #1
makobuggie
Gone Wild

Default molbilty scooter

hello, I have g1 gas, and I want to install a molbilty ramp hooked up to my trailer hitch, would this work out with the weight? im thinking heavy shocks? any ideas would help, thanks
makobuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: molbilty scooter

You mean a whole golf cart hanging off your trucks trailer hitch?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 AM   #3
makobuggie
Gone Wild

I want hookup the ramp on my golf cart
Old 06-18-2017, 06:53 AM   #4
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

So you want the cart to haul the scooter. How much does the scooter weigh?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 10:33 AM   #5
makobuggie
Gone Wild

I think between 250-300 its a 4 wheel cart
Old 06-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

No problem unless you climb steep hills or other odd things. I've pulled around a 17' boat with a 150hp outboard ok, I was careful and it was not a problem, with stock engine in a G9 and 22 tires. Its more fun to pull stuff now with a clone in it, but if you are on level ground and something not heavier than your 600lb cart it should have no problem pulling a trailer. I am sure that boat weighed much more than my cart, it was mostly level ground except the ramp into the lake.

If you mean can you put a hauler into a hitch on the back of the cart, I am not sure you could hang that much weight off the rear of the cart. It may do a wheelie, you may need to modify the cart to do it. A trailer no problem but even rear seats on carts throw off the weight distribution quite a bit and they are over the rear axle not behind it. Since the engine in a cart is in the rear, most of the weight in a cart is on the rear axle already.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 07:59 AM   #7
Lochlin
Gone Wild

[QUOTE=If you mean can you put a hauler into a hitch on the back of the cart, I am not sure you could hang that much weight off the rear of the cart. It may do a wheelie, you may need to modify the cart to do it. A.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my mom had what amounted to a hitch carrier on the back of her car that held my dad's scooter. It had a ramp on it so that she could just drive the scooter on and off the hitch carrier rather than having to lift it off. I am guessing that hitch carrier was 100 - 150 pounds. Add that to the couple of hundred for the scooter plus the leverage of having it off hang a few feet off of the back of the cart and I doubt it can be done. The issue isn't the weight on the back wheels. I think those would be ok. The issue would be lack of weight on the front wheels. Even if the front end didn't come up immediately steering would be unsafe as there wouldn't be much weight on the front wheels.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:01 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post

Yeah, my mom had what amounted to a hitch carrier on the back of her car that held my dad's scooter. It had a ramp on it so that she could just drive the scooter on and off the hitch carrier rather than having to lift it off. I am guessing that hitch carrier was 100 - 150 pounds. Add that to the couple of hundred for the scooter plus the leverage of having it off hang a few feet off of the back of the cart and I doubt it can be done. The issue isn't the weight on the back wheels. I think those would be ok. The issue would be lack of weight on the front wheels. Even if the front end didn't come up immediately steering would be unsafe as there wouldn't be much weight on the front wheels.
That is exactly what I am talking about, the whole rig hangs off the back of the car. You could probably make this work if you got some big lawn castor wheels like used on leaf collectors on mowers. Make a receiver for the cart with a pin and hinge in it that connects a tee shape tube frame longer than the mobility frame and ramp, then plug that mobility thing into the back of the cart so it sat on the frame, it would ride like a trailer but not turn, the castors would turn only. Since its pretty short it should work ok like that just like lawn leaf bins do. But that way the weight is part on the cart and part on the castors, it would move up/down like a trailer.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha