lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #1
Govnah69
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Exclamation 1980 Ezgo only running at partial RPMs

Bought a used 1980 Polaris Ez-go via tag (wiring and parts show it as a Ezgo western Division cart). Anyways upgraded and fixed a ton of stuff on it to make it road worthy again and got 3 good months out of it and it started acting like it was starving for fuel and only running at maybe 20% of the normal rpms (which barley engages the clutch). My original thought was fuel filter, then fuel pump so I bought and Installed them both. Only got slightly better.... So I changed all fuel lines, drained gas to ensure had properox and good fuel and primed pump. No real change at all... So after reading on this forum I did a muffler bbq, which seemed to help yet again, but only slightly to where it's running at maybe 30% of normal rpms. .. changed plug cable even though I had solid fire. ....While I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, it does pump out of it. How much should be coming out of line? I already checked for seal leaks and found none, I also have very decent pressure at the fuel pump vacuum inlet from the crankcase. Compression test shows right at 126 psi. I'm really at a loss, what am I missing here? Any and all help is appreciated as I have now been piddling with this thing for 3 months and would love for it to get out of the garage.
Govnah69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2017, 05:59 PM   #2
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1980 Ezgo only running at partial RPMs

Crank seals? Does it run any better in reverse? Search crank seals on this site. Tons of info. Let us know if that describes your symptoms.
Pig Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 07:34 PM   #3
Govnah69
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I've read about and checked it. I sprayed starting fluid arouthe seals and all over the motor , no change there. Seals visual inspection looks good, no fluid sealing or anything. Zero play on crankshaft. I have a very solid push of air out of the fuel pump pulse hole. It seems to be pumping fine. Although im Really not for sure without a fuel pressure gauge hooked up. It comes out a couple of inches with every pulse. ... It was driving fine then throttled down to it's current condition out of no where. I thought it was running out of gas when it happened but stayed running. But just barely and only under 100% throttle would it even move. It literally just won't Rev up. If th e motor runs just fast enough to engage the clutch it will still climb a hill, just slowly... It presents like the main jet in the carb isn't working, bit I cleaned it all out and it seemed fine and free. I still keep coming back to the carb. I just don't know. Just isn't making sense. And to answer your question on reverse, it on my slightly revs high In Reverse.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
Pig Punisher
Not Yet Wild

Is the throttle cable opening the carb all the way?
Pig Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
madeeter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

you may want to check your field wire .i have found if it gets grounded the small robin engine cannot overcome the generator.
madeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
Govnah69
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Wow, I unhook the field wire from the gen/starter and the cart ran slightly better for a min or 2, seemed like it was flooded,but after that it took off and was running like a champ. The current starter generator was only on there a week before this problem arouse, the previous one was on there a month before it completely toasted itself out of no where... Meanwhile the factory starter generator is still on my garage floor, it's just sluggish in reverse starting cold, that was only reason I changed it. So what would be my next course of action. Yet another starter generator, it has a newer voltage regulator on it already that I Installed right after I bought it. Do they make a interference isolation circuit for this problem? Again, thank you for your help to this point.
Old 07-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #7
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Did you check the brushes in the oem starter than could cause the slow starting oem is 10 times better than the aftermarket stuff
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:02 AM   #8
Govnah69
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicyunicorn View Post
Did you check the brushes in the oem starter than could cause the slow starting oem is 10 times better than the aftermarket stuff
I did not, kept it to use as a spare in a pinch though as it was original and I planned on taking it to electric motor shop to get rebuilt.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:59 PM   #9
madeeter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

glad i could help, it took me along time to find it on mine.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
madeeter
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

i would double check your wiring on voltage reg.mine had a wire grounded to another wire.pulled my hair out on this one.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO