lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-2017, 06:26 PM   #11
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: what cart is this?

Quite a cool find! I would think there should be something to stabilize the rear than just open coil springs. Maybe some worn out rubber bushings that are allowing the swing arm too much lateral travel?? IDK. But still a really interesting cart.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #12
Lochlin
Gone Wild

I dont know what you have there but it's cool. That's a rare cart. In your motor pics, that last pic is a solenoid / resistor speed controller that was very common in 60 - early 70's era carts. I have a '67 Pargo that has a very similar set up. I can post up the wiring diagram for it at work tomorrow. There will be some similarities.

The accelerator pedal is likely connected to rotating 3 position switch for speed control with the positions activating individual solenoids that send current to different coil resistors, the less the coils the faster the speed. You have 6 solenoids there so you probably have 3 forward speeds, 2 reverse with the remaining solenoid being a master for all speeds.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #13
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsonj View Post
Quite a cool find! I would think there should be something to stabilize the rear than just open coil springs. Maybe some worn out rubber bushings that are allowing the swing arm too much lateral travel?? IDK. But still a really interesting cart.

I thought that too. My Pargo has leaf springs and swing arm. That thing may have a shock or something on there at some time.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:48 AM   #14
flashbk13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi all,
thanks for the replies. This cart is actually an electric micro car made by B & Z of Long Beach, Ca. and is called an "Electra-King. I'm guessing mine is from 1974 as one of the rims has 1174 stamped on it, otherwise, I have no idea the year. As for the suspension, I do see large rubber cone like objects inside the ends of each coil spring, so maybe those are all bad? There is lots of sway to this car. Below are pics of the normal configuration of this car. Rick.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg king.jpg (138.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: png electric-king-lg.png (476.5 KB, 0 views)
flashbk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:06 AM   #15
Dennisneri
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

nice find
Dennisneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #16
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The cones should be there for overload protection. The swing arm should be a piece of metal that holds the rear wheels and has a pivot where it connects to the frame of the car. There will be a brass bushing, rubber bushing or bearing where it connects to the car frame. If I were to bet a quarter on it, I'd say the first thing I would look at is where this connects if the bushing is completely missing or worn out.

Motorcycles (and most ATVs) use swing arms for the rear wheels. Your cart likely has a similar design. The swing arm is there to make sure the rear tires stay under the car. The springs are there to make sure the car has some give on bumps, they will be sitting on top of the swing arm.

I found this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...fADH9tZQbus4nw

It's a shock that appears to have been added to a 1964 Electra King. But that won't stop side to side sway. That would still be a bushing or some such.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:47 AM   #17
flashbk13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi BronsonJ,
I only remember seeing the axle and coil springs. I will look again to see if there are signs of one being removed at some time, Rick.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:51 AM   #18
flashbk13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

That picture looks very similar to my set up (no shock though), 3 coil springs and that cable looped around the seat support bar of the frame and the axle.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 AM   #19
flashbk13
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lochlin View Post
I dont know what you have there but it's cool. That's a rare cart. In your motor pics, that last pic is a solenoid / resistor speed controller that was very common in 60 - early 70's era carts. I have a '67 Pargo that has a very similar set up. I can post up the wiring diagram for it at work tomorrow. There will be some similarities.

The accelerator pedal is likely connected to rotating 3 position switch for speed control with the positions activating individual solenoids that send current to different coil resistors, the less the coils the faster the speed. You have 6 solenoids there so you probably have 3 forward speeds, 2 reverse with the remaining solenoid being a master for all speeds.
Hi Lochlin, you are correct. My "gas" pedal is connected to a rotary switch, mine has 4 contacts, but I can only get to 1/2 of that 4th contact while still connected to most of the 3rd contact. Looks like this motor can pivot on its mount. I need to take up some of the chain slack. It has stretched over time and now is loose enough that it may either jump the drive gear or start tearing up the teeth. Does that concur with that '64 King? Rick.
Old 08-05-2017, 12:25 PM   #20
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashbk13 View Post
I only remember seeing the axle and coil springs.
Hi Rick,

So if you look at the axle, it has the three coil springs attached to it. Anything else connecting the axle to the frame or cart anywhere?

If the only thing connecting the axle to the cart are the three coil springs then it sounds to me like somebody has removed part of the subframe/swingarm/etc.

Is there a mount on the frame that you can see somewhere ahead of the rear axle that isn't used for anything? Like it was at one time but isn't anymore? That could be where the swingarm attached if it is indeed not there.

But I truly have no experience with this cart, just going off of other vehicle experience here.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts