lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2017, 09:43 AM   #1
expo
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default G2 cart lurches after brake is released

First ask advice post.
I bought a nice G2 (cosmetically and unmolested) and after a few weeks of 8 mph top speed I finally noticed rust on the clutch sheave where the belt wasn't riding. Read some threads and found a weight had let go in the primary and cracked the dust cover. Installed a new clutch and it made a world of difference in top speed.

Now when I step on the accelerator and JUST after the brake releases the cart lurches due to the carb opening and belt engaging at the same time. Not bad if you're in a hurry but dangerous with people present.
What adjustments need to be made to smooth out the transition?
expo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

Default Re: G2 cart lurches after brake is released

What is the new clutch and did a new belt go with it. Two things I have done to allow my carts to idle are....
1) Put a shim in primary clutch to slow engagement.
2) Add a bit more slack in drive belt to slow engagement.

I am new to building carts so that might not be the correct answers but it works for me.
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #3
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

How tight is the belt?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
expo
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Not a new belt. It measures 1 3/16 so I figured it was good to go. The clutch engages just above the slow idle (starter speed). With the other (broken) clutch it engaged after the brake released. If I really feather the pedal I can get it to engage without a lurch if the brake is not locked down. What needs adjusting--brake/ throttle, and how? Where would the shim be placed?

The new clutch was purchased on ebay from a cart builder. Claimed to have been taken off a new Yamaha cart for a custom build. It looked almost brand new. Priced accordingly.

Last edited by expo; 10-18-2017 at 03:21 PM.. Reason: Add narrative
Old 10-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Adjust throttle cable just in front of the governor arm (just behind engine). The cable that goes from governor to carb. Adjust it till the carb doesn't begin to open before the starter starts cranking. After adjustment, confirm that throttle at carb still opens fully (does not have to touch the "stopper block" to get full throttle).
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
expo
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Well, that throttle cable adjustment nut was a bitch to get to and rusty but I persevered and got it delayed to have the throttle open after the starter cranks. A little grease on the brake trip helped also. Thanks all for the responses esp cgtech! expo out
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha