lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #11
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 92 Carry All Ignition problem

I have tried everything that you have mentioned. Is there 12-volts going to the rev limiter & ignitor?
squirreldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-22-2017, 08:57 AM   #12
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by meimk View Post
Your wiring through the solenoid circuit is fine. That only sends power through the starter generator and has nothing to do with ignition spark. You've already stated that it cranks over, so that system is OK. Look carefully at the wiring diagram. At the ignition switch the red wire is 12v+, blue & yellow are 12v+ switched (only when ignition is on), White wire is the ignition kill wire. Black is ground. Ignition on there should be no continuity between black & white. Ignition off there should be full continuity between black & white to ground out the spark and stop the engine from running. Likewise you'll find a white with black tracer wire that runs up the passenger side of the engine that goes to the lower switch in the black control box (in the above diagram it looks gray) then continues on to the ignition switch with the white wire. When you step on the gas pedal that lower micro switch opens and allows the coil to spark. Let off the pedal and that switch closes - connecting to ground and grounding out the spark to let the engine stop.
On that white with black tracer wire there is a bullet connector near the oil dipstick tube. Unplug that and see if you get spark. That will disable almost all the kill switch wiring.
I have not disconnected the bullet connector yet. Will try that this evening & let you know.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #13
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirreldog View Post
I have tried everything that you have mentioned. Is there 12-volts going to the rev limiter & ignitor?
Again, that is a ground path
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #14
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

Can you explain to me the purpose of the ignitor? How does the ignitor go bad?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:47 AM   #15
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

The ignitor works in conjunction with the ignition coil. In later versions of that engine the ignitor function is combined into the one piece coil/ignitor (1997 & newer). when the ignitor goes bad it grounds the ignition coil output to the engine block (instead of the spark plug) and you then get no spark to fire the plug. Electricity will follow the path of least resistance. So. a bad ignitor will have the same "no spark" situation as a pinched ground / kill switch lead or bad micro switch. The coil itself is a magneto type where it produces the power to create the spark from the passing of the magnet on the flywheel. There is no 12v power source going to the coil. If it's good it WILL produce a spark & time it according to that passing of the flywheel magnet. The only thing that stops that spark from reaching the plug is a ground path (bad ignitor, rpm limiter, stuck micro switch, bad ignition switch or the wiring along that path) sending the spark to ground instead of allowing it to go on to the spark plug. In rare cases I have seen the short wire between the ignition coil and the RPM limiter & ignitor get pinched or melted to ground behind the rpm limiter's mounting plate or where it's routed around the engine shroud.
Old 11-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #16
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Just curious if you've installed a new NGK BP5ES spark plug yet... ?
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:31 AM   #17
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
Just curious if you've installed a new NGK BP5ES spark plug yet... ?
I have not installed an NGK, but an AC Delco that crossed. Is NGK a hotter plug?

If I had a wire pinched behind the rev limiter, I would have to visully see it, wouldn't be noticed by continuety check with a meter?
Old 11-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #18
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

NGK is just OEM...
IF you disconnect the bullet connector at the dipstick tube that meimk mentioned,
you might be able to check for ground continuity.... though I've never tried it.
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 08:51 AM   #19
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

That would be correct. Test for continuity (should be none) between the wire to the RPM limiter & coil side to ground. If there is continuity there it will have to be traced further.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:59 PM   #20
squirreldog
Not Yet Wild

I put a coil on from the club car dealer & now have fire. I have some adjusting to do to he carberator to get it running. I watched a YouTube video that suggested having the air filter assembly on while tuning the carb. Any tips?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car