lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-14-2017, 03:45 PM   #1
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Choke needs to be 3/4 way out to run.

Hello. I have the 13 hp EZGO engine and it is running like crap. It starts ok in the morning but but I need to hold the choke pulled out at about 3/4 of the way for it to run. We did a quick "in the field" carb clean but that did not help. I do have an after market exhaust pipe that has a small crack in it so its pretty loud, could that affect the engine? Does anyone have any other ideas? Thanks Dave
Woodkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-14-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Choke needs to be 3/4 way out to run.

Choking the engine enriches the mixture. You are reducing the air for the amount of fuel available.
Likely you have a fuel supply issue. Could be a clogged filter or a bit crap in the carb.

If this has come on slowly - as in needing more and more choke, the motor may be worn. Do a compression test. Some of the gas experts will be along soon.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 PM   #3
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Cool thanks> looking forward to hearing a bit more on the issue. A worn motor sounds expensive> hopefully that is not the problem>
Old 12-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #4
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Definitely take carb apart and clean all jets I like to use torch tip cleaners they work great for the jets and blow air through all the passages.. did this start right away with aftermarket exhaust or just come on normally if after market exhaust is louder it most likely flows more air and make need to jump up a step or two on the main jet what does the spark plug look like ?
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:53 PM   #5
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

No it only started recently. The crack in the tail pipe has been there for awhile. We cleaned the spark plugs the best we could do camping similar to the carb clean attemp. We did check th fuel line and it is definitely pupmping fuel. So the recommendation at this time is a Real good carb clean and new spark plugs? Also do a compression check if my mechanic has the tools to do that? Anything else I should try and what are we looking for in the compression check? Thanks, I am not too good with engines and there really is not a good local mobile mechanic in our area (Redlands CA 92373) so I am trusting my normal mechanic. Any advice is helpful.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:53 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Ok. First thing to do as suggested is to thoroughly clean out the carb. and i mean thoroughly!!!!. You will be surprised how common an issue this is with the EZGO models.
You say you have a 13hp cart, so which engine do you have? If it is the one in your avatar i am guessing it is a 350 robin engine, If so, then the next thing to do is valve lash. If you use it as a run around, then the valve lash should be set to .004 thou but if you drive it hard then set it at .006 thou. Hopefully this will be most of your problem sorted. The clue for me here is the 3/4 choke required to start, even when warm possibly. Again, valve lash is very common for these if i guess the correct engine you have. and FYI, if it is the 350 Robin, it is 11hp standard.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:10 AM   #7
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the great info! For some reason the number 395 cc comes to mind. Is that the 13 HP engine? If that is the 13 hp, are the .04 and .06 numbers still the same on the valve lash? We do use the cart more for very mild off roading like trails and small hills as well as around town. Would a Jeep specialized off road type mechanic be able to do the test you are suggesting at their shop?

Last edited by Woodkitten; 12-15-2017 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: Change of term
Old 12-15-2017, 08:17 AM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If it's the 13 horse it has hydraulic lifters and valve lash can't be set like the older robin twins
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 08:34 AM   #9
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Thats why we need to know what model it is? If it is around the early 2000 model it will be a robin twin, i think the 13 horse Kawasaki engine was around 2007/2006, but memory lacks a little here LOL
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
Woodkitten
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It is lifted with front and rear shocks. I believe it is a 1996 year.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO