lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-11-2018, 05:00 PM   #1
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Default HEI on a 1990 3pg

I decided to install a hei ignitor from a 1977 Chevy nova. Installed it as to the guide on here. Removed the old unit cut the tabs etc.
I have the g connection hooked to the blue wire off the pulsar.
Have the red wire connected to the w connection
Connected the b to the yellow wire
C is connected to the blue wire on the coil
And the red wire on the coil is connected to the green wire going to the solenoid.
Both green and yellow wire run to the same post on the solenoid it seems.
I tried swapping the coil red and blue wires with the C connection and green wire. Getting weak spark on my test light. Cart wont start.
I'm using a stock coil and everything worked right before I did this. I did notice when taking apart there was a wire coming off the voltage regulator going to the old coil.
Here are pictures
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180511_174428.jpg (219.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180511_174410.jpg (305.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180511_155843.jpg (229.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20180511_155818.jpg (248.1 KB, 0 views)
Nascarfastcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #2
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

Default Re: HEI help on a 1990 3pg

Is this the diagram that you used? http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/attac...n-retrofit.jpg

I don't see any picture of the HEI module.

The new module has 4 spade terminals, and 5 wires.

B goes to the positive side of the solenoid. (small terminal)

C goes to the negative side of the coil.

W, and G connect to the blue, and red wires from the pulsar. These are the only two wires that can be switched with each other.

The 5th wire connects to the module mounting screw, and a ground. I ran my ground directly to the braided ground point connection.

The diagram is using a ground point at the voltage regulator. I didn't see a need for that.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:52 PM   #3
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

I have it hooked up like you said. I added a ground wire from the top post of the voltage regulator to a mount on the new ignitor.
I tested my solenoid and I'm only getting 10.5 to 11 volts max to he yellow and green wires...
Old 05-11-2018, 07:20 PM   #4
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

You have B C W G listed but you said there's 4 termnainals and 5 wires? I have w g hooked up to the pulsar. B goes to the small term on solenoid? I have to check ...
See the picture I have attached. Both the yellow and green wires are hooked to where its circled in this picture. Yellow is hooked to b om ignitor and green is hooked to positive on coil. Now when I push the pedal I only get a little over 10 volts at this post...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180511_201808.jpg (76.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-11-2018, 07:41 PM   #5
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The 5th wire attaches to a mounting screw on the module. The other end goes to ground.

Look at the diagram. The D terminal on the solenoid has three wires.
They are B from the hei module, + from the coil, and the + feed from the micro switches.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cart around View Post
The 5th wire attaches to a mounting screw on the module. The other end goes to ground.

Look at the diagram. The D terminal on the solenoid has three wires.
They are B from the hei module, + from the coil, and the + feed from the micro switches.
Yes bud I understand. I belive I have it wired correctly. The d post on the solenoid I imagine is the small one next to ground?
I have 2 of the 3 wires coming off that post. One is green and goes to the coil red wire. One is yellow and goes to the b post on ignitor. Blue wire off coil goes to C post on ignitor. W is blue on pulsar g is red on pulsar. I have a ground wire coming from a mounting bolt that goes thru the new ignitor to the top post on the voltage regulator (its grounded)
My battery sits at about 13v. When I hit the pedal I get a little over 10volts at the d post on the solenoid. This only giving me 10 volts to the coil and b post on ignitor? Is there a way to test the solenoid?
Old 05-11-2018, 11:05 PM   #7
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: HEI on a 1990 3pg

HEI don't like low voltage !!! The numbers you have listed indicates a bad battery. Voltage shouldn't drop that low cranking.
LOU
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #8
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

I agree with Lou.
Put a meter on the battery, and step on the pedal to see how much the voltage drops.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:47 PM   #9
Nascarfastcar
Not Yet Wild

Voltage drops 2 volts.
I put the original ignitor back in. Cart starts and runs fine.
So I believe battery and solenoid are good.
I got a new replacement ignitor from autozone.
Mounted it on 1/2 aluminum and used the grease and made sure it had good ground on the top of both bolts going thru it.
Here's how I have it wired.
B terminal is attached to yellow wire that goes to d post on solenoid (hot when pedal is pushed)
C terminal is going to negative on coil (blue wire off coil)
W going to blue pulsar wire
G going to red pulsar wire
Positive (red wire) off of coil going to green wire that connects the d post on solenoid (hot when pedal pushed) same post that yellow wire is connected to.

With this set up I get weak to no spark. If I switch the pulsar wires around I get extreme spark but the cart will still not fire. Instead it backfires and the exhaust smokes like it gets real hot.

I tried swapping the blue and red wires off the coil and nothing as well.

I'm using a stock newer coil I'm not 100% sure if the red is positive and blue negative. Factory the red wire connects to the oringal ignitor a d the blue wire connects the green (hot D post on solenoid when pedal pushed)

After all this I installed the original ignitor again. And the cart stated fine.

So I have no idea why it wont work...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO