lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-14-2018, 09:33 PM   #1
Bkfiremedic
Gone Wild

Default How high should my charger go?

2001 EZGO TXT, upgraded to 48v. I have a DPI Accusense charger. What’s the highest the voltage should go when charging? Mine was up to 62 or 64v.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bkfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2018, 06:01 AM   #2
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Default Re: How high should my charger go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkfiremedic View Post
2001 EZGO TXT, upgraded to 48v. I have a DPI Accusense charger. What’s the highest the voltage should go when charging? Mine was up to 62 or 64v.

BINGO.....that's what it goes to......its doing its job properly. I have the same charger.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
Bkfiremedic
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
BINGO.....that's what it goes to......its doing its job properly. I have the same charger.

[emoji106]

Bkfiremedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #4
hyper1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I charged my batteries this weekend and mine went to 53.6 volts for about 1 hour and shut off. Battery pack is at 51.9 volts off the charger for 12 hours.
hyper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:38 AM   #5
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper1 View Post
I charged my batteries this weekend and mine went to 53.6 volts for about 1 hour and shut off. Battery pack is at 51.9 volts off the charger for 12 hours.
I think that's too low.

ref: https://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-s...y-maintenance/ Scroll down to "charging".

and this service bulletin (PDF) from US Battery circa 2012
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Technical_Service_Bulletin_09_04_2012.pdf (243.9 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
hyper1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I thought 51.9 was a good pack. my batteries are new and my cart runs great. Maybe the charger is not going very high because the batteries are not drained. I only drove it 3 miles before I charged it.

The chart shows my batteries are over the full charge.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnnie_BChart.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The issue isn't the resting voltage. Yours (51.9) is a little high but common for new batteries. My 2+ year old Trojans still rest at 51.1 or so. Varies a little sometimes. (48v pack)

The issue is the the peak voltage during the topping charge (also called the absorption phase) at low current. This should be at least 2.3v per cell (55.2). US battery is saying their batteries should be charged to at least 2.5v per cell (60.0v) Ref: the previously posted TSB

Over time, not reaching sufficient peak voltage will result in sulfation and premature reduced capacity.

Ref: https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...d_acid_battery

The charger should perform the same no matter the the charge state of the batteries. The cycle will just be much shorter (time) with batteries almost fully charged including reinitiating a charge cycle right after a previous charge cycle (equalizing charge).
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #8
hyper1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

okay been this way for about 6 months, I will run it more this weekend and then charge it and see what happens. I am using a factory ezgo charger.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:41 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

hyper1, two points I think are important here.
1. The pack should rest 12-24 hours unused after a charge for the correct settled voltage reading.
2. is the vpc or volts per cell value during recharging. VPC is established as approx 2.3 - 2.6 volts for lead acid batteries. This value is important in maintaining good battery health. Too low of a vpc will result in heavy elements which are separated during use being not being remixed into the battery chemistry during the recharge. Over time this will reduce battery performance.
Our 48v chargers use a VPC of 2.5 or 60v cut off for 24 cells. This is a safe cut off for wet cell batteries in general.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #10
hyper1
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
hyper1, two points I think are important here.
1. The pack should rest 12-24 hours unused after a charge for the correct settled voltage reading.
2. is the vpc or volts per cell value during recharging. VPC is established as approx 2.3 - 2.6 volts for lead acid batteries. This value is important in maintaining good battery health. Too low of a vpc will result in heavy elements which are separated during use being not being remixed into the battery chemistry during the recharge. Over time this will reduce battery performance.
Our 48v chargers use a VPC of 2.5 or 60v cut off for 24 cells. This is a safe cut off for wet cell batteries in general.
Okay I am going to try another charger. I have access to a new in box one. I will try it and see if they voltage goes up. I thought it was all working fine as the cart runs very good. But I will see if the new charger makes it go higher than 54 volts.

I will report back in the morning. Wonder why it is not going higher than that and how does it keep my pack charged? I did wait for over 12 hours, really about 24 before I went back out and checked it and the pack was at 51.9 volts off the charger resting. I always unplug it when it is done to keep it from being affected by lightening.

This is the charger I am using. I am also using 6 8v batteries.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l640.jpg (26.9 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by hyper1; 08-22-2018 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: more info
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO