lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-22-2018, 05:48 AM   #21
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Putting the Taylor Dunn on a lithium diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybird View Post
I’ve been watching you..
DaveTM's new theme song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YvAYIJSSZY
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-22-2018, 07:33 AM   #22
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBHC View Post
How did you know??!! It's my iPhone ring tone!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 09:09 AM   #23
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckklr04 View Post
Izzzy ya lucky bastage , I would have loved to happen upon that deal. I bet you could go 48v easy. No electronics to worry about. Only thing you might have to do is change resistors.

If you still have a hook up, pm me
Picked up another Taylor Dunn and you were right, my cart has been lifted significantly from stock. The new one is LOW. There’s a guy in Kyle TX selling 25 of them for $13 each. He claims ah is only at 30-38, but hey..$13.00. Be a bit of a drive for you, no shipping.
izzybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 12:24 PM   #24
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
It sounds like an interesting application with your heavy duty cart.

One of the things that kept me on the sidelines with Lithium (besides the cost) is the maximum amperage rating of a Lithium battery pack vs. the amperage requirement of the cart. I couldn't get satisfied with a large enough Lithium pack rating to accommodate the occasional 400 amp draws that my cart is sometimes subjected to.

What is the maximum sustained amperage rating from your Lithium pack?

Compare that to the maximum amperage requirement of your cart in a loaded situation (I used a clamp on Fluke ammeter and now have a permanently installed Red Sea ammeter installed, so I have a pretty good idea of my amperage requirements).

I am not sure of the ramifications of over amping your lithiums, but I suspect that it is likely a shorter than expected life at the minimum, and perhaps a falure of your pack (or worse) if your batteries are significantly overloaded (due to pulling the guts out of them).

I am certainly not wanting to scare monger, but you may want to consider this, what I consider to be a limiting factor with some of the Lithium batteries out there. There are ways around this, but it usually involves have two or three packs in parallel to acheive the high amperage required for a heavy cart.
Haven’t had time to be without the cart long enough to work on rust and repainting before I slip the leaf modules in, but I did come across this. His links to Colorado.edu do not seem to work any more but he seems to be confident these modules are safe well beyond what they’re rated. Not exactly scientific, but it’s something. These tests were done in 2014, forum user name was podolefsky. Copy and paste..

Here is test data I took on a single Leaf module from Hybrid Auto Center. This is a brand new module, not used.

Cells were balance charged to 4.2V each using an iCharger.

I did capacity tests on each 2P set within the module. I used a CBA IV (http://www.westmountainradio.com/pro...oducts_id=cba4). Discharged to 3.0V at 15A (C/4). I got 58.32 and 59.1Ah. These were done after the very first charge.

Test plots are here (http://www.colorado.edu/physics/Educ..._module_1a.png) and here (http://www.colorado.edu/physics/Educ..._module_2a.png). As Hybrid Auto's site says, at 3.6V you get about 90% of the full capacity.

Cells were balance charged again to 4.2V, then discharge rate tests done on the first 2P set.

My setup is sort of crude, but it gets reasonable data. It is a bank of nichrome wires in parallel, a clamp ammeter (1000A DC limit), and a voltmeter. I change the number of nichrome wires, which changes the load and lets me do tests up to 600A (10C for these cells). I did each test for just a few seconds each. (The wires heat up, resistance goes up and changes the discharge rate after a few seconds.)

Results look pretty good to me - LVC for these cells is about 2.4V, so they should be able to to well over 10C in short bursts. I didn't feel the need to test any higher (plus I ran out of nichrome wire).

One limitation might be the tabs that connect the cells to the external terminals - they are pretty thin. The external terminals got warm, but not overly hot. They are surrounded by plastic, which looked unharmed after the tests.

C-rate
Amps
Cell Voltage

2C

3C

5C

8C

10C
Old 12-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #25
chuckklr04
Getting Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
I got a pretty good deal, as long as the amp hours pan out. I’m actually pretty tired of “old sparky”, I’m looking at a ‘91 B-248 to steal the controller and other goodies from. If that happens, I’ll stay 36v so I don’t push the smoke from it. I hit a blistering 19 mph on flat running 48v on 20” tires, but it’s got some serious rabbit starts being a resistor cart. Pulling a load was weird/fun, I was either just barely untracking it or pulling the front tires off of the ground. It will be a welcome change to have a little control over the throttle input.
I wish I went 48v.

Perhaps you could move the batts into the center compartment to counter the front end lifting up?

so jealous btw
chuckklr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:42 PM   #26
chuckklr04
Getting Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Picked up another Taylor Dunn and you were right, my cart has been lifted significantly from stock. The new one is LOW. There’s a guy in Kyle TX selling 25 of them for $13 each. He claims ah is only at 30-38, but hey..$13.00. Be a bit of a drive for you, no shipping.
I picked up two 08 b200 for free about 5 months ago.

they seem to be about same height as mine, but with more room in wheel wells. Think I can squeeze 20's in there

I would just parallel up as many of the lithiums as you can fit in 48v configuration, in the center compartment, in ya older cart. Leave it mechanical speed control. There's a lot to be said for simplicity, and the Lithium makes up for any inefficiency. The electronic speed controls are insanely expensive if it goes out, and its a lot of work to change out. It's already a great looking beast!

Mine was built as a SHTF/survivalist cart. With no electronic speed control, that part of it is EMP proof.

than just mod the more modern cart to your liking at leisure, using the skills you learned on the older cart.

Do you plan on putting solar on them?
chuckklr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #27
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Well, it’s been about 6 months since the lithium packs went in. I’m using the cheapest, most advanced BMS I could find, ME. Don’t confuse that with the notion that a management system is not needed, that is absolutely not true. If you are doing the monitoring/balancing yourself, then that means you are the BMS. I was going to build a simple discharge system for cell balancing, but so far my cells are still within 1/100th of a volt from each other. I’ve only been charging to 4.08v per cell, but last night cracked open the charger and bumped it up to 4.15v. Been generally discharging to a minimum of 3.7v, most of the time not even that. Hopefully being so kind to them will get some life out of them, my lowest module is about 38ah and my best is about 43ah. I’ve been running 3 packs in series thinking I would be using the packs for different applications, but it didn’t really materialize. I plan to go to a 48v system and reconfigure to one pack. I bought a newer Taylor Dunn at auction to get the newer electronics out of and of course, the controller is dead. Curtis 1205-202 is currently on the surgery table getting better mosfets, diodes, and capacitors to run 67v since I currently have 16 modules and hey why the heck not. I see very little info out there on modifying controllers, so we’ll see how this goes. I mean, it’s already broken right!? It’s been fun and I’ve learned a immense amount of knowledge about a field I recently knew nothing about. When the swap to 48v+ goes down, I’ll probably get a couple pics up. Till then...
Pb batteries suck! Lol.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #28
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Been generally discharging to a minimum of 3.7v, most of the time not even that. .
Living dangerously? Life in the fast lane?

DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:48 PM   #29
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Well that's pretty cool!

I'm curious if your motor will be able to handle that voltage? Think I remember seeing on here, most of the motors for these carts are designed for 36/48 volt systems. With 60 volts being the "extreme" operating level. What motor do you have?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #30
izzybird
Gone Wild

Taylor-Dunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Living dangerously? Life in the fast lane?

Right on the ragged edge I tell ya!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts