lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-02-2019, 04:07 PM   #1
Beems
Not Yet Wild

Default Momentary Loss of Electrical Power When Throttle is Applied

I installed a radio in a gas Yamaha G14 cart that is losing power when the throttle is applied.

Before the cart gets warmed up (think chilly early mornings), it loses electrical power when the throttle is first pushed in. Whether you ease into the throttle, or slap it the floor, there is a momentary loss of electrical power - enough that the radio shuts off. Once the cart starts moving and we have constant power, the radio turns back on. It doesn't seem to be a short, since it seems to be fine once the cart is warmed up.

Any ideas on where to start looking at this, so that the cart doesn't lose electrical power momentarily when the throttle is depressed?
Beems is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Momentary Loss of Electrical Power When Throttle is Applied

Try to get the voltage when it happens...
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Beems
Not Yet Wild

How do I do that?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:42 PM   #4
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beems View Post
How do I do that?
Use a multimeter on the battery.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:46 AM   #5
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

What type of radio is it?...i mean these radios these days run on bugger all...remember the transistor radios...they ran on a cpl torch batteries.

Do you have a whopping sub woofer and all goodies ?
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:14 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

it is quite common for the battery voltage to drop to as low as 10V on crank, so that may be your issue. it is always best to run your radio with a separate battery on gas carts.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
Beems
Not Yet Wild

It's a small (gauge-style) marine head unit with no subwoofer, so it shouldn't be drawing much power at all.

The thing is, I get constant juice when the weather is warm and I can run with no issues, it's just when the cart is running cold is when pressing the throttle causes the radio to lose power. What I'm hoping to find is some way to equalize that so that we don't have a momentary loss of juice when the throttle is applied during cold weather.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:27 AM   #8
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Batteries are less efficient when cold, so you will not really solve this easily without a separate battery or some fancy work with capacitors maybe? I will let an expert on uninterruptible power supplies take that further.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:29 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Most radios should stay on even at 10v. Most specify operating voltage between 9-16v, that's a pretty standard spec. But there should be a label on it that says...

Hook a meter to the positive and negative battery terminals, and use the min/max setting. It's not as accurate as a scope but will record the min voltage readings. Many times the display is not quick enough to register.

Then do the same test on the power and ground wires behind the radio itself. Both B+ and ignition. There may be a weak or corroded connection between the battery and radio that exacerbates the voltage drop when you press the pedal.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Also what is the max current draw from your radio itself? If it is only a couple amps at max volume there may be an easy fix :) any car audio shop that sells metra should be ble to get these, if they dont already have on th level shelf. They work Great for around 2amps but I wouldnt go much above that. 4amps makes them very unhappy... they're designed for exactly what you're experiencing with voltage drop. Should run less than about 20 bucks

http://theinstallbay.com/product/IBVSTABL
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha