lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2019, 03:20 PM   #11
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Momentary Loss of Electrical Power When Throttle is Applied

When he accelerates it should up the amps if the gen/alt is ok....everything I own does as soon as you boot it the lights brighten up ect, not the reverse....have you had flat battery isses?
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #12
Beems
Not Yet Wild

@CP241 Regarding hooking a meter up, do you have a recommendation of a meter (say an Amazon link) that will work to do the testing? Regarding the max current draw from your radio itself, would that be in the specs from the manufacturer, or do I need to measure that?

@griffo002 I haven't noticed any battery issues previously, but the existing battery is probably 6-8 years old and could probably stand to be replaced. The cart is locked up for probably another 90 days in storage at the golf course, but I'll throw a new battery on it in the spring and report back.
Beems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:52 PM   #13
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I only recommend fluke meters. Just get one that measures amps and voltage. There are cheaper ones out there but fluke is industry standard.

If the battery is 6-8 years old, have it load tested. Any auto parts store will do it for free. May be money better spent on a battery that age replacing it, before spending a bunch of time trying to diagnose an issue that may not really exist. Old batteries drop voltage much more easily when a load is applied than a new one. A new battery, clean the connections to make sure theres no corrosion and theres a good chance you'll be back in business without issue.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:10 AM   #14
dezrcr822
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
I only recommend fluke meters. Just get one that measures amps and voltage. There are cheaper ones out there but fluke is industry standard.

If the battery is 6-8 years old, have it load tested. Any auto parts store will do it for free. May be money better spent on a battery that age replacing it, before spending a bunch of time trying to diagnose an issue that may not really exist. Old batteries drop voltage much more easily when a load is applied than a new one. A new battery, clean the connections to make sure theres no corrosion and theres a good chance you'll be back in business without issue.
X2 on fluke meters. Im betting you have a weak cell in that old battery and or some bad grounds too.
dezrcr822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:43 AM   #15
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Sounds to me like it is cutting out when the starter/generator kicks in. The same way it does when you start a car and the radio cuts out for a moment or two. I bet if you wire it to start with the key switch you won't have this problem while running.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 12:01 PM   #16
mikkeeh
Not Yet Wild

No offense, but it appears that with your knowledge of electricity, a multi meter is not something you’d use often...like a commercial electrician. Fluke meters are great....but a $10 meter from harbor freight will do everything you need. As your electrical knowledge increases..you can always upgrade.
mikkeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #17
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikkeeh View Post
No offense, but it appears that with your knowledge of electricity, a multi meter is not something you’d use often...like a commercial electrician. Fluke meters are great....but a $10 meter from harbor freight will do everything you need. As your electrical knowledge increases..you can always upgrade.
I have to agree on this one.... Buying a $250 meter to test a $60 battery one time?
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #18
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

There are tools I'll cheap out on, and some I wont. A meter is one that I wont. I'm not saying he needs to get a fluke 88 or a 289, but a 107 will do everything a DIY'er will likely ever need for under $70. Those $10 harbor freight meters are completely unreliable, inaccurate junk.

But I digress... if you read, I recommended first taking th battery in to have it load tested. If it is 6-8 years old, then 99% chance it's just outlived it's useful life and simply replacing the battery will fix his issues.

Quote:
May be money better spent on a battery that age replacing it, before spending a bunch of time trying to diagnose an issue that may not really exist.*
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha