lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Apexcars
Not Yet Wild

Default Help with adjusting throttle cable on Drive 2 EFI

I just purchased a 2017 Drive QuieTech fleet and I read on this forum that often the throttle cable isn't set right from the factory. I looked at the governor and it the nut is tightened all the way down the shaft. I don't feel like it is over-revving but since I don't have a tach I don't really know. Also, I don't know why the golf course would have backed off the governor. I'm not trying to get the maximum speed out of the cart, and I don't want anything to blow up. I tried searching but everything I come up with talks about adjusting the governor or has to do with the carbs. I don't have a service manual yet.
Apexcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2019, 04:07 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Help with adjusting throttle cable on Drive 2 EFI

What speed does it do now? So far, I haven't found any problems with what you are describing.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #3
Apexcars
Not Yet Wild

You haven’t found a problem with the throttle adjustment or with having the govenor backed all the way off. I don’t know the actual speed. I’m in the process of putting a lift kit on. I will run it for speed as soon as that is done.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
Apexcars
Not Yet Wild

cgtech, it was actually your post that got me questioning my throttle setting. Here is the quote from you “I did see a lot of mis-adjusted cables early on in Efi production, but they usually are pretty good now. Your dealer won't help you with these issues to get it to work as advertised? Or did you order it off the internet and don't have a dealer who wants to mess with your "outside deal".”
Old 05-08-2019, 10:16 AM   #5
cgtech

Yamaha

I was not saying I have seen no issues. I was saying I hadn't heard anything you wrote about your individual cart that led me to believe that it was messed up, and that's why I asked how fast it went. And I don't have a fuel injected Drive, or any "outside deal", but I have worked at a Yamaha golf cart dealership since 2007.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #6
Apexcars
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for your answers. Once I get it put back together I will drive it and log the speed. I wasn't saying you had an outside deal though. That was just a part of the quote from you to another cart owner. My service manual cam in so I am going to look up how to properly adjust the throttle on there.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:03 PM   #7
Apexcars
Not Yet Wild

Using the manual I found out that the throttle cable 2 should be adjusted to the point where the throttle almost hits the throttle stop and cable 1 should be adjusted to where it moves the governor lever all the way to it's stop. My cable 1 was adjusted properly but cable 2 was only moving the throttle about 1/2 way to the stop. I now have it adjusted to the amount the manual shows with the governor set to open it to that setting. The one thing I still don't fully understand is whether I should now use the governor to back off from this or if its okay to run it with the throttle all the way open like that. I still haven't had a chance to run it for speed yet.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #8
cgtech

Yamaha

The jury will be out on that question for a while. They are too new to know if running with governor cranked will damage the governor. The engine will be fine, the FI computer has it's own rev limiter to prevent motor overspeed. But I can say that disabling the governor would result in unpleasant operation, would cause severe surging at full speed (when hitting the computers rev limiter). Keep in mind, the governor regulates road speed, while the computer regulates engine speed.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:19 PM   #9
Apexcars
Not Yet Wild

According to my iPhone app, it does 22 MPH with the 20" tires and it drives very well I think. Seems that adjusting the throttle to open just shy of all the way with the pedal pressed down and the governor backed all the way off works well with these new carts.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha