lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2019, 03:53 PM   #1
mark s.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default buggy prob

not sure what year my buggy is but its, gas, tilt back top, and having problem running. when i step on gas peddle it sometimes starts right away and other times it cranks for a long time before it starts and when it does start it back fires. it has compression of 125, new plug, and has been running great for years untill yesterday. i do know the year is in the early 90,s. any help would be great and thanks for the help
mark s. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #2
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Default Re: buggy prob

Mark, it would help you a lot to post more info, photos, find out the year, 2 stroke, 4 stroke etc. That way people can help.

to BGW!
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #3
Arti
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Just a guess but I'd say it has a bad ground wire to the motor or a bad connection in the wiring.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #4
jclark138
Runs with scissors-

Yamaha

Welcome !
jclark138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 06:55 PM   #5
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s. View Post
not sure what year my buggy is but its, gas, tilt back top, and having problem running. when i step on gas peddle it sometimes starts right away and other times it cranks for a long time before it starts and when it does start it back fires. it has compression of 125, new plug, and has been running great for years untill yesterday. i do know the year is in the early 90,s. any help would be great and thanks for the help
You say it has a tilt back top? Do you mean the rear body section flips up backwards to access the engine? If so, this is a G1 model. Pics will help.

A no start condition could be just about anything. Here's what you need to run:
1.) compression
2.) fuel
3.) air
4.) spark

It sounds like the compression is ok. You can pull the plug and lay it on the head and crank it over. The spark should be blue/white and strong. If it's red/orange/yellow it's weak. You can pull the fuel line off the carb and crank the engine and the fuel should squirt out pretty well, use a jar or cup to catch the fuel. Check the air filter to make sure it's not dirty/plugged.

Report back.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 05:38 AM   #6
mark s.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks to everyone who responded to my post, thru your posts i have found out it is a G1 series. Also it is 2 cycle, i will try to send pictures later today. thanks again
Old 05-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark s. View Post
thanks to everyone who responded to my post, thru your posts i have found out it is a G1 series. Also it is 2 cycle, i will try to send pictures later today. thanks again
The G1 is the only Yamaha with a 2 stroke. It is also the only model with a body section that flips backwards. This cart also doesn't have a reverse gear, instead, the engine runs in reverse to move the cart backwards. It's an oddball, but a really cool tank of a cart, and a classic!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:58 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

They made a "last run" of them in 1989 I think, maybe just to use up the frames & parts they had laying around. The hard start thing could be bad crank seals, and bad crank seals is a death sentence to 2-stroke engines. A 2-stroke breathes all it's air/fuel mixture (and lubricating oil) through it's crankcase with every breath. For a 2-stroke engine to have any outside sources of air that didn't pass through the carb (like bad crank seals) will cause it to run lean. A lean 2-stroke is an overheating 2-stroke, which leads to burnt rings & piston. Lean mixtures burn the hottest, and sometimes too hot.

I was once riding a Yamaha quad in the desert, it was running really great for power, but every time I got on it, it was blowing glowing orange bits out the exhaust. And my buddy was wise enough to tell me it was running lean. He was right, it had a leaking gasket, and was destroying the spark plug. The orange bits were glowing bits of spark plug ceramic shooting out the exhaust. Fortunately, it survived fine, but needed a new gasket at the base of the jug.

Not saying your spark plug will be competely destroyed as evidence for you to see, just an example I had in my younger days.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 05:59 AM   #9
mark s.
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks to everyone,
fixed the problem, the coil wire was bad.
found that out the hard way, WOW
thank you all again.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha