lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #1
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Help Recognizing Unexpected Sound

Hi Gang,

I was hoping the BGW brain trust could help me identify an unusual sound I recently heard in my “new” 2006 ACG H3 (with mostly CC components).

Long post, but I will try and be as detailed as possible.

Yesterday I wired in a voltmeter directly to the (6 x 8v) battery pack. After the install I decided to take the gang out for a drive around the marina. I had 5 people in the cart (2 adults 3 kids: Total weight about 500 pounds.)

I should note the factory wiring diagram indicates the 2006 ACG H3 had an Alltrax 4844 Motor controller, but upon inspection I see a 500 amp FSIP Star Controller, with a 2013 manufacturing date. Perhaps an upgrade occurred 7 years after delivery.

We had a gentle 5.5 mile drive never exceeding 15 mph with gentle accelerations and flat paved roads. Voltage was good the entire trip, starting out at 51.2 volts and ended at 48.1 volts.

We would stop the cart every 10 minutes get out and explore for 10 minutes then get back in and continue.

Here is the concern. After 5.5 miles of doing this (about 1 1/2 hours) I noticed a new sound. Every time I pressed the accelerator I would hear a soft but definite “alarm”” type sound. It would go away when I released the accelerator.

We were close to home so I dropped off 3 passengers. With two people in the cart (about 280 pounds, down from the initial load of 500 pounds) I started driving again, and initially as I accelerated no alarm type sound. I drove on flat ground for about 3 minutes without any sound but eventually the “alarm” sound came back.

I parked the cart and felt the FSIP 500 amp motor controller (model 51-42L500NN0S see photo for specs) It was HOT to the touch.

Did I smell a burnt motor? Not sure because I’m new to this. I did smell that tell tale “electrical” smell. I should note one of my passengers is an electrical engineer and he did not mention smelling a burnt motor.

Here is the question:

Do these carts have such an alarm to warn of overheating the motor controller? What was that alarm?

Today with the motor controller cooled off and a minimal load on the vehicle I’m going to take the cart out again to see if I can reproduce the sound. But in the meantime, any thoughts?

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FSIP Motor Controller.jpg (123.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg C554883A-413B-4EBA-9DB6-C78CDB0F4FF7.jpg (244.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2354407C-E29B-446F-8138-67175D1342B3.jpg (190.9 KB, 0 views)
RNajarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2020, 04:20 PM   #2
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Help Recognizing Unexpected Sound

FOLLOW UP:

Took the cart out again today, fully charged with about the same load as before.

Drove 4.2 miles in about 45 minutes.

The sound did not reappear, battery went from 51.2 volts at the start to 49.7 at the end.

The controller was warm, not hot.

For now I’ll attribute the sound to an overheated controller.

I’m considering an eventual upgrade to a lithium battery pack. Hopefully I’ll be able to use the same FSIP 500 amp motor controller.
Old 11-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

A loaded cart will whine a little when first starting to move because of higher current flow so that might have been what you heard. Also DC motors like to spin at full RPM and if not there can pull more current and cause the controller to warm up. I know this is the case on sepex motors. Not quite as bad with series like yours but still could be the issue.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 10:45 PM   #4
CCNorth
Gone Wild
Club Car

I know I asked you this in the first thread you posted, but which motor do you have?? Is it FSIP also or something else?

Did you happen to check if the motor was hot, too?

Here I go with more advice, but if it were me I'd double check all the connections to the controller and motor to be sure they are very clean and properly torqued. Also, check that the cables are in good condition.

Before you even consider adding Lithiums you need to be sure you have a good motor, controller and solenoid. You have no way of knowing how that cart was treated before you bought it. Spend your money wisely.
CCNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 01:25 AM   #5
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the sage advice CCNorth.

I’m still doing sea trials on this Cart. There are some cables I would like to replace. I should have but didn’t check the motor. I will identify the motor next. It appears the controller was upgraded, hopefully so was the motor. I do know it is blue (Photo Below)

Based on my volt readings on my last two drives, my batteries are in good shape, so no replacements for them in the immediate future.

Thanks to everyone for your insight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7F7374DF-018D-4869-BCDB-83A47D33DECE.jpg (99.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2857494F-8EED-45C1-A845-6D024E3620B1.jpg (157.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

I haven’t verified this on the cart yet by inspecting manufacturing stickers . . .

but the motor does appear to be a DD Motor Systems motor. See attached photos.

A vendor advertised it can do 25 MPH on raised tires, which my vehicle can do.

I’ll research this motor a little more.
Old 01-18-2021, 03:49 AM   #7
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Weird Noise Update:

I took the cart out today with the same load as before (in Nov 2020). Flat paved roads, passengers weighed 560 pounds total, fully charged batteries. We drove for 50 minutes at 8 mph.

After 45 minutes the whining sound returned. Earlier I described it as an alarm, but it was high pitch frequency. The sound was prominent at low speeds but would lessen at higher speeds. I only noticed the noise while applying the accelerator. While coasting the noise went away.

I dropped off the passengers (320 pounds) and went back out. Initially the sound went away but after 30 seconds it returned. I took the cart up to 20 mph, the sound decreased and eventually went away.

My friend, an electrical engineer, seems to think the noise was originating from the motor rather than the controller.

I’m wondering if this update helps anyone identify the whine. Like an idiot I forgot to feel the motor to see if it was hot. The controller was warm.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:26 AM   #8
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I have read this thread several times and am trying to think of a problem here. Not to sound like a smart a$$ but your engineer friend's sense of smell or lack thereof is no help.

You said in post 1 that your batteries settled down to 48.1. How old are the batteries? (so we can get a starting point.)
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 12:24 PM   #9
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
I have read this thread several times and am trying to think of a problem here. Not to sound like a smart a$$ but your engineer friend's sense of smell or lack thereof is no help.

You said in post 1 that your batteries settled down to 48.1. How old are the batteries? (so we can get a starting point.)
Batteries are 2 1/2 years old. They seem to hold a charge well. After my 1 hour drive the charge was 49.6.

Water levels are normal.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #10
RNajarian
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is a little more info. . .

Today we took a little drive. . . 420 pounds total passenger weight. 45 minute drive, 5 miles travelled.

NO unusual sounds. I felt the controller, it was hot, the motor was too hot to touch.

I’m beginning to think the sound originated from the motor.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car