lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-13-2021, 04:15 AM   #1
Mentobradah
Not Yet Wild

Default LED light kit

I just installed my RHOX led light kit with a volt 2005 voltage reducer and the headlights are dim. Any reason why?
Mentobradah is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-13-2021, 08:37 AM   #2
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: LED light kit

What vehicle?
What reducer?
How is it wired?
Was a light kit installed previously?
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:38 AM   #3
Mentobradah
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohns18 View Post
What vehicle?
What reducer?
How is it wired?
Was a light kit installed previously?
5 club car precedent
Volt 2005 reducer
All plug and play except the blue fuse wire is on the #4 battery positive connected to blue wire on controller
No like kit previously
Old 02-13-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Start with the basics. Do you have a meter?

Measure voltage at the light and use the ground wire for your negative probe at the light itself. What do you have?
Measure voltage/ground on the output of the voltage reducer the same way. Positive on the 12v output wire and ground on the ground output wire from the box. What do you have?

Start there and we can work from there based on what your available voltages are.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #5
Mentobradah
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Start with the basics. Do you have a meter?

Measure voltage at the light and use the ground wire for your negative probe at the light itself. What do you have?
Measure voltage/ground on the output of the voltage reducer the same way. Positive on the 12v output wire and ground on the ground output wire from the box. What do you have?

Start there and we can work from there based on what your available voltages are.
I tested the the voltage reducer and its reading only 7.6 volts. So I unplugged the voltage reducer and plugged the light kit harness directly to the factory bucket harness. So basically Im guessing I have no voltage reducer. Is that ok?
Old 02-13-2021, 02:11 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

If your reducer is only outputting 7.6 volts then that’s your problem. I’m surprised the led’s work at all at that voltage.

Make sure the reducer is hooked up to the full pack, I’m guessing it’s a 48v reducer so make sure it’s getting 48+v at the inputs for the reducer itself. If so then it’s either the wrong one, or defective. It should take the 48v input and provide a 12v output. Pretty basic stuff, really.

Make sure the factory buckets you wired the led’s into are not higher than around 14v or you’ll probably start to see individual led’s in the light fail one at a time until they don’t work at all anymore.
Old 02-13-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
Mentobradah
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
If your reducer is only outputting 7.6 volts then that’s your problem. I’m surprised the led’s work at all at that voltage.

Make sure the reducer is hooked up to the full pack, I’m guessing it’s a 48v reducer so make sure it’s getting 48+v at the inputs for the reducer itself. If so then it’s either the wrong one, or defective. It should take the 48v input and provide a 12v output. Pretty basic stuff, really.

Make sure the factory buckets you wired the led’s into are not higher than around 14v or you’ll probably start to see individual led’s in the light fail one at a time until they don’t work at all anymore.
The reducer I have is the plug and play one the plugs directly to bucket harness and light kit. How would I check the voltage at the inputs? Sorry newbie here
Old 02-13-2021, 02:46 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I just looked at the wiring diagram for this kit, it’s not very good...

But it looks like you should show 48v on the blue and yellow wires all the time. You should have 48v on the white wire when the key is turned on.

It should output 12v on the red/black wires when the key is turned on.

That’s my interpretation of the poor wiring diagram, most of those wire colors are on the 2002/2004 kit, the 2003/2005 just shows plugging into the factory connectors but does not disclose wire color/function. But logical deduction would lead me to believe wire color—>function should be the same
Old 02-13-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
Mentobradah
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
I just looked at the wiring diagram for this kit, it’s not very good...

But it looks like you should show 48v on the blue and yellow wires all the time. You should have 48v on the white wire when the key is turned on.

It should output 12v on the red/black wires when the key is turned on.

That’s my interpretation of the poor wiring diagram, most of those wire colors are on the 2002/2004 kit, the 2003/2005 just shows plugging into the factory connectors but does not disclose wire color/function. But logical deduction would lead me to believe wire color—>function should be the same
Thanks what reducer would you recommend?
Old 02-13-2021, 03:03 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I wouldn’t condemn the reducer itself until you’ve been able to verify it is getting the proper input voltage. I doubt there’s anything wrong with that brand, sometimes you get a bad part out of the box. But it may be a connection somewhere or something just not hooked up quite right. I’d double check every signal and wire that you can, and if everything is correct but it is outputting low voltage, just get a replacement under warranty.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car