lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2022, 10:12 AM   #1
BlueCreek
Not Yet Wild

Default 2011 Stealth Apache 64v Solenoid issue

My Stealth seems to blow solenoids. The Forward solenoid has gone out now for the 3rd time in 6 months. Does anyone else have this issue? I don't think the unit is wired wrong, but it could be. I have gone through the wiring to check it, and all seems to be wired correctly. These solenoids are expensive so any suggestions on what could be blowing these? I do have issues with the ignition switch sometimes it does not activate the cart you turn it a few off/ons it may work or switch to 4WD and it will start working if the solenoid is good.

Thank you,
BlueCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2022, 02:24 PM   #2
gyroman
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2011 Stealth Apache 64v Solenoid issue

Is your setup like this?

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...FXVXVPdDhHRGJB
gyroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 04:13 PM   #3
BlueCreek
Not Yet Wild

Here is the main solenoid, with yellow wire goes to forward and reverse solenoid and green wire goes to accelerator pedal. The pictures are not oriented as I wanted them to show.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image0.jpg (19.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (18.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (22.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 10:42 PM   #4
gyroman
Gone Wild
Club Car

If it's working like it should when it is working, I don't see how it could be wired incorrectly. Are you buying good solenoids or are you getting them off of e-bay? Are you creeping around slowly at times, barely engaging the go pedal? That will cause the the solenoid to kick in an out repeatedly, which will off course get it hot and shorten its life span.
Old 01-27-2022, 11:32 AM   #5
BlueCreek
Not Yet Wild

I buy them from Southern Stealth Parts in Bogalusa, LA. They are the White/Rogers 586 320111. Do you recommend anything different or better?
Old 01-27-2022, 04:38 PM   #6
gyroman
Gone Wild
Club Car

That's the ones that come on it from the factory. White/Rogers are premium solenoids.

Have you performed an autopsyon any of the old ones? Take one apart and see why it failed. Do it carefully and you will be able to see if the small wire from the small post to the coil is broken which will keep the coil from activating. Or look to see if the spring is broken or if the contacts are burnt on the sliding ferromagnetic plunger.

Also the solenoid should state on it that it's rated for 64 volts.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:31 PM   #7
BlueCreek
Not Yet Wild

Thank you, I will take these apart and see what I find. I don't find 64V anywhere on the solenoid. I can test solenoids on the bench for boats and waverunners but do not know how to test these. Here is a picture of one of the bad ones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Solenoid White-Rogers 586 320111.jpg (115.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-27-2022, 07:15 PM   #8
gyroman
Gone Wild
Club Car

I wondered about that. I knew the number you gave was for a 48 volt solenoid and you have a 64 volt cart. That will certainly burn up a solenoid if it's rated for lower voltage than is being applied to it. You should take your voltmeter and check the current going across the large posts when activated.

My Stealth Apache is a 48v cart and has a 48v solenoid. My cart has the mechanical lever F/R switch so I can't compare wiring setups. I'm not saying yours is wired wrong as the only experience I have with reversing solenoids is when another member of this site changed his Stealth's mechanical switch over to an electrical reversing switch. We had a great time figuring that out.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:36 AM   #9
BlueCreek
Not Yet Wild

It has been concerning I could not find the 64V solenoid but the people at Southern Stealth said the 48V was fine for the 64V. Anyone know where to find the 64V?

The reverse has this same solenoid on it. I don't think it has ever gone out the cart. I bought this used.
Old 01-28-2022, 10:06 AM   #10
gyroman
Gone Wild
Club Car

I've never seen a 64v solenoid either. I'm sure it is supposed to be wired so that only 48v is going through it. That's why it wouldn't hurt to check the voltage with a voltmeter.

Tags
64v, apache, solenoid, stealth
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts