lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #1
garyoquinn
Not Yet Wild

Default engine wont stop running

i have a G16 gas yamaha golf cart, when i press gas and run the cart there are no issues, the motor runs fine. when i come to a stop and let off the gas pedal the motor continues to run and will not shut down completely. i have to feather the gas pedal for it to finally shut off. we have adjusted the gas cable and did nothing to fix the issue, i put a new carburetor on it today and it actually got worse, now you have to cover the air intake hole for it to stop running, about a year ago i rebuilt the engine with new piston and rings and when i got it back together and running this problem started, never had a issue before i broke the engine down

any suggestions
garyoquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2022, 08:18 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: engine wont stop running

Check the stop switch , under the gas pedal. It's really 2 switches in 1. One circuit turns on the solenoid and sends power to the starter when you step one the pedal. Other circuit shorts the spark to ground in order to stop the engine as you fully release the pedal.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I agree with the pedal switch being the problem, does it not stop when you turn off the key?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 08:10 AM   #4
1arunem
Gone Wild

Make sure the two wire connector at the front of the engine did not come unplugged.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2022, 09:23 AM   #5
garyoquinn
Not Yet Wild

u can turn the key off and it will still run, after putting a new carb on now you have to plug off the breather hole to shut it off
Old 02-25-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like it isn't the pedal switch. It could be a stuck solenoid.
You need to determine if the engine is actually running or is it just the starter turning over.
Quote:
after putting a new carb on now you have to plug off the breather hole to shut it off
From your description I'm inclined to believe that the engine is actually running. And it shouldn't be. Even if the stop relay isn't doing its job the carb should kill the engine. It may chug and pop but it should still die.
There is a wire coming out of the front of your engine. This is the kill wire. It gets grounded by the stop relay to kill the engine. There is a bullet connector near the front of the engine that often gets unplugged. This will let the engine continue to have spark.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bl.jpg (237.0 KB, 0 views)
rstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:06 PM   #7
garyoquinn
Not Yet Wild

today i unhooked the switch under the gas pedal, the motor would not run, we hooked the switch back up and started the motor. while the motor was running we unhooked the switch under the gas pedal and the motor continued to run. so its not the kill switch under the pedal

thanks for each of your inputs on this,
Old 03-01-2022, 06:34 AM   #8
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyoquinn View Post
today i unhooked the switch under the gas pedal, the motor would not run, we hooked the switch back up and started the motor. while the motor was running we unhooked the switch under the gas pedal and the motor continued to run. so its not the kill switch under the pedal

thanks for each of your inputs on this,
I didn't think it was the pedal switch. The answer is in my post.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:22 PM   #9
1arunem
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
Make sure the two wire connector at the front of the engine did not come unplugged.
See post #4...
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #10
rstacy
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1arunem View Post
See post #4...
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha