lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2022, 08:01 AM   #21
JCBAS
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Burning Through Solenoids

After we had these issues I did the same thing. I bought a cheap one on Amazon just to have it as a temporary spare because my issues always seem to happen when the cart is in the middle of a cornfield while deer hunting.

ThreeCW, thanks for the link! That sheds some more light on the issue.
JCBAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #22
cartdoc1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBAS View Post
Here is a picture of the solenoid. I know the resistor is not on the solenoid, I took it off because it was getting hot just being on the solenoid without using the cart. The right side of the picture is the driver side.
Is the resistor getting hot with the key in the off position ?
cartdoc1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2022, 05:29 PM   #23
JCBAS
Not Yet Wild

Yes, it does get hot with the key in the off position.

The solenoid that was working after I cleaned the points under the bottom cap, is now not working. It worked very temporarily going back and forth a a couple feet in the garage yesterday.

Not sure if this is of note, but yesterday when it was working temporarily, I would go forward a couple feet and stop and when I stopped the indicator light on the controller would flash a "pre-charge failure" code once and then go to solid green. It would do this every time I went forward or backward and stopped.

Just a little bit ago happened to reaching under the seat and felt the heat from the solenoid resistor. I turned the key on and got the "pre-charge failure" code again. Checked microswitches, key switch, electronic pedal, and everything was good. I get battery pack voltage to the small positive terminal on the solenoid when I press the pedal, but no solenoid click.

I guess I have real bad luck when it comes to these solenoids. Getting super frustrating.
JCBAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 07:23 PM   #24
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Not a golf cart mechanic by anyone’s stretch specially when it comes to electrical issues.

I have seen similar tho rare problems when working as a auto tech years back.

Solenoids would burn up from severe pitting bad contacts in solenoid due to under voltage.
The voltage required to close, pull solenoid contacts closed was low.
It causes the contacts to burn up/ pit similar to what you are seeing.
Just a thought🤔
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2022, 10:55 AM   #25
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

The pre-charge resistor getting hot with key on or off is not normal. Something is drawing current that shouldn't. The pre-charge resistor is used to keep the capacitors in the controller charged to protect the solenoid contacts from sparking during the capacitance inrush of current when they close. Find out what is drawing the current making the resistor get hot. Operating without this resistor will cause solenoid failure.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO