lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #1
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Waterlogged Controller

I have an Alltrax NPX 4844 that has had water in it. I'm talk about copious amounts of water. The controller comes on, but when I push on the go pedal the green LED turns red and it seems to reset the controller and goes back to green. To took the cover off and dried the top portion, but I wasn't sure if I could get into the bottom half?
Is it ruined? Tips to dry it up? Is it possible to get into the bottom part?
nasfd35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Waterlogged Controller

was it only the controller that was wet??
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #3
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
was it only the controller that was wet??
Everything was wet. I was able to check the pot and it still had the proper readings on the ohms meter. The solenoid seems to be operating fine too
Old 05-07-2022, 11:16 PM   #4
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

I was reading online about the Alltrax NPX controller. One of the vendors said "One of the nice features of this controller is the potting that is done to keep the water out. You can get this controller wet over and over again with no worries about shorting."

It sounds like you are past the point of getting it wet ... perhaps more like water logged. I would suggest calling Alltrax and getting their feedback. Strategically drilled weep holes (or larger evaporation holes) might be called for, but you would have to know where to drill them to avoid key electrical components.

It sounds like a good science experiment trying to recover this controller.

Just wondering what were the circumstances of getting the controller ... and "everything" else wet?

Just for the record, I was able to dry out my Curtis controller on my Cushman and return it to full operating condition ... so give it a go ! The key is evaporation, so you will have to open it up somehow.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 08:59 AM   #5
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

If it was powered while still wet, that could have toasted it. Was the motor submerged? If so, that has to come apart and be cleaned and dried before the brush holders rust and prevent the brushes from sliding.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 07:17 AM   #6
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
I would suggest calling Alltrax and getting their feedback. Strategically drilled weep holes (or larger evaporation holes) might be called for, but you would have to know where to drill them to avoid key electrical components.

It sounds like a good science experiment trying to recover this controller.

Just wondering what were the circumstances of getting the controller ... and "everything" else wet?

Just for the record, I was able to dry out my Curtis controller on my Cushman and return it to full operating condition ... so give it a go ! The key is evaporation, so you will have to open it up somehow.
Good idea on calling Alltrax. Thanks.
As for the circumstances..
See....what had happened was... I washed the golf with the seat off. I also rinsed off the battery compartment. I was thinking things would be fine since everything is sealed. I didn't think about the mounting of the solenoid on top of the controller.... First time golf cart owner learning curve...
I plan to chase it down to see if I can fix it. I'll keep you posted on progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
If it was powered while still wet, that could have toasted it. Was the motor submerged?
It was powered while still wet, but it keeps trying to work so I'm still hopeful that it can be fixed.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:33 PM   #7
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

The cart is alive again. I spoke with Tech Support at Alltrax. They told me to try taking the cover off and letting it dry naturally and then benchtop tests it across the terminals for the pot. But it was reading 30v instead of the 14v it should have. I heated the bottom up with a torch and then let it sit again for a day and tested it and it was good to go. I was reading 12.2v. The cart seems to be working fine; does anyone know if the low reading will effect anything?
Old 05-12-2022, 01:12 AM   #8
ThreeCW
Gone Wild

Cushman

A torch sounds like overkill ... I think that a hair blower might have been a more appropriate tool to use (i.e. something at a low enough temperature so that any soldered connections and / or plastic insulators do not melt).

What's done it done, but I thought I would mention it in case someone has a similar problem in the future.
ThreeCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 01:49 PM   #9
nasfd35
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCW View Post
A torch sounds like overkill ... I think that a hair blower might have been a more appropriate tool to use.
The torch was suggested by the Alltrax tech guy. I said that I was going to use my heat gun, but he said that wasn't enough. 🤷🤷

WOW=========== Well it worked
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO