lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-10-2022, 02:26 PM   #1
swampboy
Not Yet Wild

Default PDS with High Speed Gears, No Torque

I have a 2006 TXT PDS with 8:1 high speed gears and a Freedom speed chip (red). Everything else is stock. Top speed is 26mph, but torque is a little low. I really only need about 20mph and would like more torque. Can I install the mild hill chip (yellow) and regain some torque, still get 20mph, and not cause problems?
swampboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2022, 02:37 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: PDS with High Speed Gears, No Torque

These high speed gear sets cut the carts off at the knees. What I mean is 8:1 is 33% higher than stock so it also reduces the power by an equal amount.
I don't think the little chips are going to do anything notable in the way of improved performance.
A modest Alltrax XCT400PDS controller will increase power by about 25-30% and allow top speed of 22-23 mph. If this is installed with the 8:1 gears power should be back to about normal for a golf cart so long as the tires remain stock 18" tall. and speed well - speed will be a nutty 28-30 mph ? IDK faster than I want to ride in a golf cart... The Alltrax can limit the speed in the settings.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 02:50 PM   #3
swampboy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the quick response Scottyb. What your saying makes sense. I think 6:1 gears would have been fine, but its a little late for that now. I was looking for a cheap fix with the possible chip change. I'll probably be keeping the cart for a long time so I'll consider a new controller.
Old 05-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
ojo
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

With a 6:1 gear ratio you'll probably need someone to push the cart for take off... For more torque a higher ratio is necessary (~12..)
ojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:57 PM   #5
swampboy
Not Yet Wild

I thought I was offered 6:1 gears as an option but now that you point it out that would be an even higher gear ratio, yikes.
Old 05-10-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

My Yamaha cart standard ratio is 12.5:1 so 8:1 would really kill the torque. My 2012 Yamaha has 9:1 gears and it was terrible for torque until I changed the motor to a high torque model.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:25 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Stock gear ratio for a TXT (PDS or Series drive) is 12.44:1.

8:1 gears reduces torque where rubber meets road by 35.7% and 6:1 gears reduces it by 51.8%.

Smaller tires (less overall height) would help, but i suspect you are running stock height (18").

The other answer (other than changing the gears) is an Alltrax XCT48500-PDS controller and a high torque motor (plus 30% or 40%) or going to a 48V battery pack.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:06 PM   #8
swampboy
Not Yet Wild

Thanks to all for their input. I just checked my old paper work and I see that where it says "high speed gears" someone had written 8:1 then wrote 6:1 over it. Based on this and my lack of torque while driving I believe I have 6:1 gears. So my speed is great but a little more torque would be nice.
I didn't want to spend too much but with your advice I'm realizing a new controller and high torque motor could make a huge difference. I'll check out the the Alltrax XCT48500-PDS controller and talk to D&D about a suitable high torque motor.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:00 PM   #9
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Problem with that setup is that you really can't go with oversized tires without putting the gearing way over the top. You might want to see what it would take to go back to more conventional gearing if you have any thoughts of lifting and going with oversized tires.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO