lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-08-2022, 07:42 PM   #1
crippled
Not Yet Wild

Default Suspension issue...

so i got a 2017 EZgo TXT gas, its got a generic 6 inch lift it looks like and it appears to have HD leaf springs in the back. I say that because there are 4 leafs. The other day I had two buddies on the back seat and they maybe weighed 400 to 450 max between the two. when i hit a good size bump in the road, the rear shackle flipped forward and laid flat. I pulled over and we picked up the back of the cart and the spring immediately sprung out and put the shackle in the correct orientation. I guess the spring is to weak or maybe my shackles are too short, or too long? is that the max weight to put on a back seat? was i pushing the limits?
crippled is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-08-2022, 08:16 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Suspension issue...

You’ve got 400lbs in the back of a cart. Added to another 150lbs for the back seat itself. Add to that the dynamic spike in the weight due to the bounce from the bump, which I’m no physics expert but I’d bet a solid bump can double whatever cargo weight you’ve got in the back.

It’s meant to carry a 20# bag of golf clubs.

I think you’re probably just about maxed out. Cart should be fine but I’d go easy over the bumps when you’re hauling just to avoid it happening again.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:16 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Honestly these golf carts were never designed to carry that kind of weight. A Workhorse, yes, but not a golf cart. They were designed to carry two adults and two bags of clubs at 12 mph on a smooth golf course paved path and fairway. Now that doesn't mean we don't use them this way, I certainly do, but to expect a golf cart to not have any issues with that kind of load would be asking a lot.

Can you modify a golf cart to do more than intended? Yes, with enough money and effort. The downside? A really really rough ride. Take a ride in my Workhorse/Hauler cart, for instance. It rides terrible, but it'll haul 1200 lbs.

Consider yourselves lucky that the cart didn't come apart and flip over. I've seen and heard some gruesome stories of things like this ending very badly for the riders. Glad you're all ok.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 09:35 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Yeah we have to be careful loading my electric DS. Bigger kids have to sit in the front to help with weight distribution or if I accelerate too hard from a stop it will lift the front up and scrape the trailer hitch

That’s the only downside to lithium really that I can think of. That extra 300lbs in front of the rear axle really makes a difference. One of these days I’ll get around to a counterbalance weight over the front axle to help…. Maybe
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:46 PM   #5
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

You were definitely pushing the limits LOL.
What I think in reality, is that you have found the weak point on the TXT frame. With extra stiff springs and a lot of weight over bumps, the rear arch of the frame that loops over the transaxle has bent backward effectively moving the shackle mounting point. This then allows the shackle to flip forward and the spring lands against the frame. On the flip side, if an Ezgo TXT gets a minor rear end bump, the frame gets shortened slightly and allows the shackle to flip rearward also landing the spring against the frame. A temporary fix is longer shackles, but ideally the frame needs to be rectified. If you put the cart on stands just before the front spring mount, drop the rear top shackle mounting bolts out and measure the exact distance between the front and rear spring mounts hole centres you should see exactly 26.5 inches any more or less, the shackle will fold backward or forward. I will try to find the image I have that shows the details.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 10:52 PM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

This shows the frame dimension I am talking about but the statement regarding pushing the frame out refers to a rear and bump. yours would be the opposite i expect and would need maybe a heavy duty ratchet strap to pull the frame back to shape.
You should measure both sides of the cart and see what you have to deal with.

This rarely happens with the RXV carts as the frame is designed a lot stiffer.

Maybe fitting progressive or softer rear springs will help prevent this reoccurring.

TXT frame-1.jpg
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:55 PM   #7
crippled
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartmaster View Post
This shows the frame dimension I am talking about but the statement regarding pushing the frame out refers to a rear and bump. yours would be the opposite i expect and would need maybe a heavy duty ratchet strap to pull the frame back to shape.
You should measure both sides of the cart and see what you have to deal with.

This rarely happens with the RXV carts as the frame is designed a lot stiffer.

Maybe fitting progressive or softer rear springs will help prevent this reoccurring.

Attachment 230797
nope not bent, i guess i just exceeded what the springs could handle and they gave out, that's probably why the bounced back under load when we picked up the rear end. thank you everyone for the feedback, I expected that it could handle that weight. ill be sure to put lighter people in the back from now on.
crippled is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO