lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2022, 06:04 AM   #1
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default 2020+ EZGO engines are JUNK!

I'm only guessing based on what little info I found online but I think it's the EX1? It's a new EFI engine used on all the 2020 Valors and RXVs. I've already had to refuse three customers because the carts all had the same symptom--Runs 100 yards, shuts down, and won't even turn over. It looks like a Chinesium moped engine. It's also quite anemic. There's no codes that I am aware of, the Oil light flashes something but there's zero info online and EZGO ain't talking (calling them just gets the usual runaround I used to associate with Ruff-N-Tuff/Bad Boy Buggies)

There's zero parts in any of our vendors, zero schematics, zero service manuals for the blasted thing. And did you know there's not even a starter generator? It's got some kind of internal starter. If this is the way things are going I'm about to retire permenantly. I swear had any company screwed customers over with cheap crap (like those blasted 'smart' chargers every cart has today) in the '60s they'd be out of business from the shattered reputation! Are people today just that complacent? It really makes me never want to buy anything from EZGO or Yamaha (the top two with garbage lately). I honestly don't want to work on anything 'modern' and would give anything to have the old resistor carts return. That's what I started on, and given how cheap customers got post-pandemic at least they'd be within their pay grade.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2022, 06:09 AM   #2
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2020+ EZGO engines are JUNK!

Bring back the pre MCI subaru robin twin is all i can say LOL.
Cartmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 06:16 AM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Agreed. There weren't nothing wrong with that one. I still deal with the MCI variants and they all have ignition timing issues or 'valve creep' (you adjust valves, engine runs a while, then white smoke and it quits, and the valves somehow changed position/adjustment due to the softer heads on the MCI engines)

EZGO should have done the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' method. Satisfy your customers, not your shareholders. Oh good grief who am I kidding? Everything is about disposability and screwing people over. They don't even call them 'customers' anymore just 'consumers'. I was born in the wrong decade.

What's going to happen though when the EX1 is all that's left? You can't get parts for them much less support from EZGO. Did Bad Boy Buggies buy EZGO out? Sure wouldn't surprise me.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:22 AM   #4
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

Actually, parts for the Kawasaki are fairly available in the UK. maybe think about emigrating LOL.

It was not a case of " if it aint broke " it was an attempt to improve efficiency and lower the emissions, but by the time it hit the market the manufacturers were discussing a buyout.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:28 AM   #5
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

The emissions can't be that much lower plus we're talking SORE engines here which don't even have any e-certs. Even motorcycles don't have to conform to EPA other than noise emissions.

I hate the Kawasaki but we can still get parts for them. No such luck on whatever brand that moped engine they're using today is though.

Emissions requirements can't explain the e-waste generating 'smart' chargers everyone is using though. Those things, be them QEs, QUIQs, ERICs, or whatever crap that Lester Summit II is (why does a charger have Bluetooth?! That's like putting internet access on a drill!) all they do is fill landfills so either the EPA is a scam or they really are morons on what it takes to stop pollution. Heck, animal agriculture alone accounts for 51% of global greenhouse gas emissions yet the EPA thinks banning incandescent light bulbs is gonna fix the problem!

Don't even get me started on those 'EPA-approved' new gas cans. You probably spill more gas on the ground trying to make the darned spout work!
Old 08-11-2022, 06:34 AM   #6
Cartmaster
British born Nincompoop

E-Z-GO

I made the right choice years ago to retire from the cart business, I just come here for fun nowadays LOL.

I still have some carts though, and a storage facility full of vintage EZGO medalist and TXT spare parts. The longer I wait, the more valuable they will become. I even have around twenty pre mici complete engines in storage. Its my full retirement fund
Old 08-11-2022, 06:41 AM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Those resistor cars will be quite valuable post-apocalypse.

I wish I could retire. I've worked there 15 plus years. I remember starting on Pargos and Harley Davidsons, and even Nordco Markateers. Worst that'd happen is a burned resistor group, bad solenoid, or bad points/ignition coils. Then people suddenly got the need for speed and put 'go fast mods' on like ziptying the governor cable, or deleting the governor entirely, and blow their engine up and leave me to literally pick up the pieces. In addition, they got even cheaper post-pandemic. You'd think they'd want to put those stimulus checks to good use.

So even though I'd love to put in Alltraxes or OE parts, no one is willing to pay the price. They want cheap NOW and hope for the best, so we're stuck with the likes of Nivel and Red Hawk.

And would it kill anyone for people to STOP BUYING RURAL KING BATTERIES?!

If I see another solid-state Marathon with Rural Kings under the seat....

I had my first ever starter generator explode on me yesterday. I mean literally explode--shrapnel everywhere and all over the road, half the starter just GONE! It was only held onto the engine by the one bolt aftewards. I might have to do the 'starter shuffle' soon.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:43 PM   #8
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yep EX1 = Kwang Yang Motor Co LTD from Taiwan. They are apparently a big producer of 150cc class scooters in their home market. "ShopEZGO.com" doesn't even recognize the existence of these things. 150cc fuel injected scooter engines so less displacement, higher revs - but probably have to email Taiwan for parts.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 06:45 AM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Just as I expected...more China JUNK! You'd think since that country is what made Covid-19 happen you'd expect people would stop and bring Made in USA back. At least that was MY hope especially with the supply issues and the banning of Huewei phones in the USA.?

Why not go all the way and we'd at least have quality back!

Also and off-topic question: Why does everything Chinese sound like it's a tin can hitting the ground? Kang Pang, Zing Ping, etc>
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO