lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2022, 02:51 PM   #1
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default fuel filter on 1996 G9

I want to add one of those inline fuel filter to to fuel hose between the pump and carb but the only location where I could put it would be right above the start-generator since mine is located in front of the engine.

I wanted a transparent filter to help me assure the fuel pump is working and fuel is flowing.

Have anyone add one in and how it worked out? Any issue? My concern is it’s an older brushed generator so I am sure it creating lot of spark inside of it and one fuel leak would probably not be a great thing to happen.
TechBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2022, 02:59 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: fuel filter on 1996 G9

Should be fine. Just put a little longer hose on it so the filter won’t be over the starter.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 03:12 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I’ve done this on every G2/G9 I’ve owned and never had a problem.

I’d recommend taking the fuel tank out and gutting the original fuel filter if it’s still on there. They disintegrate and gunk up your fuel pump. Luckily these gas tanks are super super easy to take out… 3 bolts, lift and remove :)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post

I’d recommend taking the fuel tank out and gutting the original fuel filter if it’s still on there. They disintegrate and gunk up your fuel pump. Luckily these gas tanks are super super easy to take out… 3 bolts, lift and remove :)
Thank so much for the feedback!

You were right about the internal filter

I ripped it out and put the filter cap back in. I did put a new filter in 2 years ago and it’s clogged and black now.

Going to hardware store to get an inline filter now.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:49 PM   #5
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Should be fine. Just put a little longer hose on it so the filter won’t be over the starter.
Quote:

Do you have fuel filter before or after the fuel pump?

I put in the filter after the pump and no fuel is flowing into the filter so I decided to order an aftermarket fuel pump based on the sticky post in this forum recommendation.

I also ordered new 1/4 fuel lines to go with it.

I rebuilt the fuel pump with kits a couple of years ago and cleaned it out several times over the years but gotten to a point where I had to almost do it each month and the aftermarket pump is cheap on Amazon for up to 25hp motors that I firgure I’ll give it a try and maybe make it a habit just put a new one in every 2-3 years instead of hassling of cleaning or rebuilt the original one again.

I suspect rebuilt kit i purchased in past just a cheapo kit and are short lived.
Old 08-20-2022, 09:53 PM   #6
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I forgot to add that the vacuum is still strong and it the pump vac hose sucks to my finger tip pretty good when I am starting over the engine.

The engine is still at Yahama factory motor with a compression about 100. A bit weak I know and my next project is the EZGO with series motor which I plan to convert over to lithium batteries so I wanted to focus on that next after this Yahama.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Check compression again and make sure to hold the throttle open by hand. 100 is very low. I’m surprised it runs at all. Spec in the service manual I believe states 140psi minimum, 160+ is ideal.

I put filter after the pump. But location of the filter won’t make the pump not work.

Skip the aftermarket pumps they are garbage. Get a Briggs and Stratton mikuni pump on Amazon, they’re around 20-25 bucks and very good quality. Make sure it actually SAYS mikuni Japan on the back of it. Ezgo and club car use this pump oem (just without the Briggs logo on it). It’s the black plastic one. You’ll only mount it with one of the 2 bolt locations but that’s fine, it’s not going anywhere.
Old 08-21-2022, 09:45 PM   #8
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Could it be that your fuel lines are not primed? When you disconnect fuel lines etc, the fuel empties out and leaves air in the lines. The fuel pump will only pump "fuel" and not "air". Most times I use an air compressor with a blow gun, put my hand over the fuel cap area, blow air in between my fingers and that will pressurize the fuel tank and push fuel into the lines and into the fuel pump. Once you have fuel at the pump, it should push fuel when you crank. Happens all the time.

I second the Briggs fuel pump, great units for the price. Never gave me any issues on all the different carts and engines I've used them on. Might as well replace all the rubber lines while your at it, cheap insurance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg briggs fuel pump.jpg (87.8 KB, 0 views)
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 12:50 AM   #9
TechBill
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Check compression again and make sure to hold the throttle open by hand. 100 is very low. I’m surprised it runs at all. Spec in the service manual I believe states 140psi minimum, 160+ is ideal.

I put filter after the pump. But location of the filter won’t make the pump not work.

Skip the aftermarket pumps they are garbage. Get a Briggs and Stratton mikuni pump on Amazon, they’re around 20-25 bucks and very good quality. Make sure it actually SAYS mikuni Japan on the back of it. Ezgo and club car use this pump oem (just without the Briggs logo on it). It’s the black plastic one. You’ll only mount it with one of the 2 bolt locations but that’s fine, it’s not going anywhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Could it be that your fuel lines are not primed? When you disconnect fuel lines etc, the fuel empties out and leaves air in the lines. The fuel pump will only pump "fuel" and not "air". Most times I use an air compressor with a blow gun, put my hand over the fuel cap area, blow air in between my fingers and that will pressurize the fuel tank and push fuel into the lines and into the fuel pump. Once you have fuel at the pump, it should push fuel when you crank. Happens all the time.

I second the Briggs fuel pump, great units for the price. Never gave me any issues on all the different carts and engines I've used them on. Might as well replace all the rubber lines while your at it, cheap insurance.

This the pump I ordered

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00WP...b_b_prod_image
Old 08-22-2022, 03:19 AM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Funny when I clicked that link it said I’ve purchased two times. I looked in my orders and both were returned one must have been a replacement for the original and apparently neither worked.

This is worth the extra $3

Briggs and Stratton Genuine 808656 Fuel Pump by Briggs & Stratton https://a.co/d/fB0pfSQ
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha