lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-06-2010, 11:46 PM   #11
Boris
DELETED

Default Re: 2001 Workhorse stalls on hills

to BGW, horseback1926 ........

I had the exact same issue recently, and after changing to new and shorter drive belt I now think mine could climb a tree IF I was able to get the tires on it.
Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 AM   #12
horseback1926
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

New ramp buttons, new spring, compression checked....not any better.
horseback1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseback1926 View Post
New ramp buttons, new spring, compression checked....not any better.
What was the compression?

Compression check will not fix the problem, it may only identify the problem.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:32 PM   #14
horseback1926
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Compression 130 psi on this 2001 Workshorse according to the mechanic. This cart is still not pulling a hill, although it seems to run great. The engine sounds fine up until the point it is all revved up, but absolutely will not go up the hill. I'm still using it for farm work, just finding creative ways to get around the hills. I'm in Alabama so these aren't big hills, just small inclines.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:30 AM   #15
squijo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Have you looked into adding a stronger spring in the secondary clutch? I replaced mine on a 2001 txt cause I have some major hills to climb with mine and it really beefs up the torque on the cart. I know another guy that had done it on his which is where I got the idea from cause he uses his golf cart on a course with the highest slope rating in all of north america so it does nothing but climb hills. So far I have had no issues with mine in the climbing department. Maybe that will help
squijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #16
squijo
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Sorry guess I should have paid more attention to your previous post where you put new spring. My apologies.
squijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 05:12 AM   #17
horseback1926
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

First it doesn't pull hills, so I replace plugs, filters, have the valves adjusted, compression checked, replace belts, ramp buttons, spring, completely cleaned and lubricated everything, and unhill performance has not improved. New sympton: it doesn't want to roll backward. On an incline I have to put it in reverse to back down the hill that it can't climb, plus it's getting harder and harder to change from forward to reverse. The drive clutch engages smoothly but doesn't disengage smoothly now, and has new whining, clunking sounds. Since a new drive clutch costs $200+ I didn't want to buy one without more info. Mechanic that worked on it few months ago said the engined checked out fine, but he didn't go up or down, just forward and reverse on flat ground and he's not a golf cart mechanic, just a nice mechanic trying to help. He wasn't familiar with the transmission.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:13 AM   #18
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I wonder if your driven clutch is opening too far causing the belt to snag on the clutch shaft and not release. This could cause your problem with shifting and also be the root of the strange noises. Here is what I would do. Get the back axle on stands and elevate the bed so you can see the clutches. Get a friend to start and gently accelerate the engine. You should see the drive clutch slowly and smoothly closing and the driven clutch do the opposite. If either clutch does nothing or moves in a jerky manner or if the belt suddenly falls into the center of the driven clutch you have a problem. Now remove the drive belt and do the same but be careful not to over rev the engine. If all the clonking noises disappear then your issue lies with the driven clutch.

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:23 AM   #19
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

130 compression is not great! you should be up around 165 on a 4 stroke. I'm just concerned that there may be some clutch issues in perfect combination with a possibly week engine? I'm holding out for some of the ez-go pros to get here...........
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:36 AM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The manufacture recommends a rebuild at 130 pounds of compression.
Start at the bottom of the small hill, lift the seat and check that the rear clutch is closed up and the front clutch is opened up... attempt the mild hill. If the cart can not pull the hill in the lowest gear setting described above then 130psi may be just too little compression to push the cart up the hill ... when the cart stalls, set the brake. If you can safely get out recheck the clutch positions...they should be the same as when you started. If you have big tires or extra weigh it is adding to the problem...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climbing, gas cart, power, workhorse
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO