lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2pg clutch puller help

When you got the bolt out did you get the bushing out to? Their is a bushing in by the threads. If you did not get that out it could be why your puller won't go in. I had a hard time get the bushing out when I pulled my clutch. I used a small screw driver to get the bushing out.
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2011, 09:00 AM   #12
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Bbrazil,
I have walked this path myself and I feel your pain. Here is your answer.
First off if you have the original clutch is is possible that you have a plastic threaded plug inside the clutch that is stopping the tool getting in there. If the engine is out you can look inside the clutch with a flashlight and see it. If the engine is still in the cart then I suggest you use a flashlight and a mirror and then take the engine out. The plug is difficult to remove but you can do it. I used a large screwdriver as a chisel and it only took 2 hours or so.
The second scenario is that the clutch has already been changed and it has a different thread. If this is the case then you need a 9/16th fine thread bolt (preferably hardened) 2 1/2 inches long. You also need a steel rod 3/8th by 3 inches long. Drop the rod in the hole and wind in the bolt.
Yes it is all a pain and you would think that manufacturers could standardize their practices but that is all too difficult.
Good Luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Oops didn't notice there was a second page so I repeated the advice of Sharse36. Still at least we concur just disagree over the size of the screwdriver
Old 01-24-2011, 10:51 AM   #14
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Could you run a tap in part way and then pull the bushing?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #15
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Well the bushing is threaded using the threads that you need for the 3/4 thread on the clutch puller (original clutch only). If you had a tap with a left hand thread that would work as it would unwind the bushing as it tightened up. I ended up using a large screwdriver as a chisel and easing it out. I wasn't particularly careful and I destroyed the bushing, not that I cared as I knew I was replacing the clutch anyway.
Dave
Old 01-24-2011, 03:28 PM   #16
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

engine is out, doesnt appear to be a plastic plug inside the hole as i can see the threads for pulling and they are slightly rusty . 9/16 fine thread bolt seems to be very close but it didn't want to thread in to easy and i didn't want to cross thread it or strip it not knowing what i really needed. could this be metric? or is there a specific thread pitch for the 9/16 that i should try.
bbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM   #17
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

All I can say is that mine was 9/16 fine thread. The chances are that the rust is making it feel tight. I would zip some WD40 or Blaster in there and gently wind the bolt in and out to clear the threads up. Unless you have a very strange clutch it will not be metric.
Dave
Old 01-24-2011, 04:46 PM   #18
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

thanks going to give it a try tonight. also do i need to get a plastic bushing? if so where from and what size?
Old 01-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

As far as I am aware the bushing was only fitted to the clutch that had the 3/4 inch thread. If you are using a 9/16 thread there was no bushing.
If the clutch has been on for a while it will be tight. A little Blaster may help otherwise it is a question of brute strength
Good Luck
Dave
Old 01-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #20
bbrazil
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

well it seems like the 9/16 is right. cold only get it in about 5 threads. threads are rusted and i am going to let it soak overnight in pb blaster. any suggestions on how to clear the threads?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO