lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #1
mnoracing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Red face cart takes forever to get going

When I get my cart running, (once) it takes forever to build momentum, and get going. I have the petal to the floor, and it barely moves. It will take about a minute to move. I did drive it arround the block, and it goes twice as fast down hill, compared to uphill. Any suggestions? I think maybe the belt is too loose? (Photo attached) Everyting else is close to working properly. Also the motor was super hot and smoking when I returned, and the brakes may have been dragging a bit, I have since backed them off a bit inside the drum to try and rule that out, but havent driven it since then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tn.jpg (850 Bytes, 177 views)
mnoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #2
M.Gilbert3
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: cart takes forever to get going

i can't see the pic but does the motor spool up or does the motor itself not seem to pick up, rpm wise.
M.Gilbert3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
BadApple
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey mnoracing, welcome to BGW!
I am also new to carts and this site, with lots of questions about my '90 Marathon. I don't have answers to your questions but I have found that if you click on the search tab above and type in a few key words (ex: marathon belt question, marathon running hot, etc.) it will display lots of good threads. I have found that most of my questions have been answered before. I hope this helps, keep us posted on your progress and good luck
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #4
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If it is reeving up to speed? I'd say it is the belt wore out, or you are missing some pucks in clutch, is it a 2 stroke or 4?
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Hello,
There are several issues here and I am assuming that you are referring to the 2PG engine you mentioned in another post. To start I would remove the drive belt and push the car by hand. This will give you an idea if the brakes are binding or a bearing is locking up and placing extra load on the engine.
When you say the engine is smoking, do you mean blue smoke from the exhaust? Or is the engine getting so hot that smoke is coming off the crankcase? The common cause of overheating is that the air deflector across the engine is blocked with leaves and assorted debris. I would be tempted to remove the fan cover and the air deflector and give it a clean. Of course if the smoke is coming out of the exhaust then it may be just running too much oil. The correct ratio is 128:1 that is to say 1 ounce oil to 1 gallon of gas. ** This presupposes that the oil injector has been removed** There are also many opinions on this ratio and you should feel free to follow anyone else's advice, I merely quote the manual.
When you state it takes forever to build momentum, and get going do you refer to the engine building up revolutions or does the engine rev up but the car does not move? If the engine will not rev up (and you have not already done so) I would suggest a little tune up. Get a new air filter a new fuel filter and a new spark plug. With those fitted and if you still have issues we can track them down.
With regard to the downhill speed issue, the best, easiest and cheapest thing I did for my car was to replace the belt with a shorter one. I am guessing you are still speaking of a 2PG engine here so the correct belt is the DAYCO HP3004. It is a heavy duty snowmobile belt and will delight you with the increase in torque.
Give us some more information and we can take it from there
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
mnoracing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

WOW Thanks for all the feed back!
The cart is a 2 stroke, 2pg. The oil injector has been removed.
I now think the smoke was from all of the wd40 and engine degreeser I cleaned the exhaust and motor with. The spent exhaust is not smokey though.
No, I'm pretty sure the engine does NOT rev up enough, at the start. Is this a belt problem?
The cart is very hard to push, although I need to do it with the drive belt off as suggested. The brake drums were really hard to get off. The brake was not on when I removed them, and I have loosened them up for now and they do spin more freely.
The plug is new, and still brownish after the test drive. I think I'm still running a little lean. I will try a new air filter, and fuel filters too. Also I will clean behind the fan cover, although I think we are good there.
What are 'missing pucks in the clutch'? I have gone through and cleaned the carb and the fuel pump. (that's what I'm calling it)
I messed up on the photo the first time, but you can see it now. It should show the amount of slack in the belt. do I definately need a new one? I will get it this weekend if need be.
Looking forward to more feedback. Hopefully I'm helping you enough so that you can help me. Thanks Again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg loose belt.jpg (3.2 KB, 138 views)
Old 01-24-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
BigCountry79
Gone Wild

Yamaha

dont know about your specefic cart, but my belt is so loose you can change it without tools. its meant to be loose like that, it doesnt get tight till the belt rides up the clutch at certain rpm. does the motor rev up fine with the belt off? sounds like you have a motor issue.
BigCountry79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:48 AM   #8
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi mnoracing, can't see that picture real good but it looks like your belt has flipped, the groves go to the inside, from what I see you have them out? That also looks like the starter generator belt, the clutch belt will be the big wide belt going to the rear end,[IMG][/IMG]
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
mnoracing
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I will have to see if the motor revs with the belt off. I have allot of work to do
Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Just curious and maybe going a different direction, have you checked comp. to see if that may be your engine reving problem.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO