lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Radio Mounting Ideas

I was trying to find a way to mount a standard car stereo into my 1989 cart. I dont have a top, so a pod setup is out. Any ideas? PICS?

Jon
EZ-GoingJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-24-2011, 10:07 PM   #2
BadApple
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Radio Mounting Ideas

Hey Jon,
I mounted a car stereo in the middle of the dash on my '90 Marathon. I removed the golf ball holder and trimmed it out to fit. I installed a fuse block in the passenger side of the glove box. I wanted to keep everything dry so I built some doors out of plexi glass, painted them, and attached with piano hinge and rivets. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'll get some pics in the next couple days.
BadApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Right on Big!! That is what i was thinking of doing. Where did u put the speakers?

Jon
Old 01-25-2011, 07:23 AM   #4
popatop
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi EZ-GoingJon, Here is where I mounted mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brush guard ATV bumper 004.jpg (125.7 KB, 121 views)
popatop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #5
steveb05
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Right in the center here too. My speakers are in little "pods" I formed from fiberglass to fit on the outside edges of the glove boxes. Still need to figure out a grill for them though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Buggy_Dash.jpg (133.3 KB, 104 views)
steveb05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:06 PM   #6
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

This is the setup i installed last spring and I love it.

There is no head unit. The tiny remote is mounted on the dash, turns the amp on/off, selects the source (radio, or aux(ipod, etc.)) and volume. I mounted the amp behind the center of the dash and the speakers right in the glove boxes with plenty of room left to spare. I usually plug my Droid phone into the aux input. That way I have Pandora, Sirius, and whatever I have stored in my phone. My wife's ipod works great too. In my opinion, it is the best way to go. I will never again do a head unit in a golf cart. Sounds petty good too for about $60 (http://www.jr.com/pyle/pe/PYL_PLMCA10/)
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
rocknrone
Romans 1 : 16 Unashamed

E-Z-GO

Talking Re: Radio Mounting Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tguellich View Post
This is the setup i installed last spring and I love it.

There is no head unit. The tiny remote is mounted on the dash, turns the amp on/off, selects the source (radio, or aux(ipod, etc.)) and volume. I mounted the amp behind the center of the dash and the speakers right in the glove boxes with plenty of room left to spare. I usually plug my Droid phone into the aux input. That way I have Pandora, Sirius, and whatever I have stored in my phone. My wife's ipod works great too. In my opinion, it is the best way to go. I will never again do a head unit in a golf cart. Sounds petty good too for about $60 (http://www.jr.com/pyle/pe/PYL_PLMCA10/)
Thanks for posting this. I am really interested in this because I have one of the overhead radio consoles that holds the radio and speakers, but it is basically useless as a cd player because the factory tops just moves too much when riding on dirt roads or trails like I do which in turn makes cds skip. I did find this setup 5 bucks cheaper on ebay with free shipping for anyone who's intested. I think I'm going to get it and remove the setup I have now and also get rid of my factory top and rollbar and get a more beefy setup to put a top and windshield on. Thanks again for mentioning this. I think it's very cool and I don't even buy cd's anymore anyway, and I get all my music on my Evo anyway.
rocknrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:04 PM   #8
EZ-GoingJon
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thank you for posting that!! That is the way i will go!! Does it sound good?

Jon
Old 01-25-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
bowtieboy
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

This is what I bought for the wifes cart. Not installed yet as we have over 4 feet of snow out there and the cart is in my race trailer. This was only 82.00 on flea bay. Will post pics in the spring when I get it installed.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/el/PLMRKT2A.jpg
bowtieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:31 AM   #10
tguellich
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I am glad I could help a little, thanks rocknrone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZ-GoingJon View Post
Thank you for posting that!! That is the way i will go!! Does it sound good?

Jon
It sounds good, although I am not an audiophile. I like my music to be reasonably loud and clear. So this fits the bill. I am sure within the next year or two I will upgrade the speakers, because I can never leave well enough alone. Last summer I used it 5 days a week to drive to the lake, left it playing all day at the lake, then drove it home. It is plenty loud enough to be heard over my really noisy 2-cycle while driving and it didn't kill the battery once. I am sure some people would say the sound isn't good enough for them, I think it is more than adequate. I worried about paying so little for a setup like this but I can tell you after one summer, I have already gotten my money's worth and I will buy the same type of thing again if/when it craps out.
tguellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO