lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2011, 10:29 PM   #1
sodamo
Not Yet Wild

Default 97 Gas TXT doesn't start (Long)

I just bought a 1997 gasser as mentioned in previous thread Here.

Have it home now and need some help. Been searching prior threads and downloaded from the Tech section, but being a newbie I'm still just finding my way, so if I can get some gentle assistance, it would be most appreciated. PLEASE, excuse if my terminology is a bit off as I learn.

This cart was supposedly running about 6 months ago, but has been sitting as the owner passed away. The guy I bought from and knows it best is on a different island and was not present when I bought it. His sister was and I believe she was sincere in not really knowing much LOL

Near as I can tell, except for lift and tires, everything else is stock.

Manuals: From looking, it appears the 1997-98 carts have their own manual, does anyone know why? Is there a reasonable approach to using the newer manuals and adjust for a 97 model? I'd like to have a good reference set. Any suggestions other than what's at Tech appreciated.

Electrical diagram: Not sure I've found an appropriate one yet. Can someone point me to one? My cart does have some disconnected wires, some I "think" I figured out, but not all. In particular, the wires from the accelerator pedal micro switch are not only disconnected, but maybe be broken off (and removed) as I can't find the connection points in the engine compartment. So when I turn the key switch to ON, the engine "runs" via the starter, but doesn't start. Might it be possible that this allows the engine to run/idle full time? If so, any negative consequences?

As I've said, engine does NOT start. Here's what I've checked:
1. At first there was no gas visible in the filter. I can feel the suction in that bottom tube for the fuel pump. The pickup tube in the tank is clear. I think the fuel pump may have dried out, I squirted WD40 into it from the tankside port and it will now draw fuel from the tank. Discovered a leak in the line to the carb and fixed that. I think I will replace all the lines and the filter. Fuel does get to the carb, but I haven't seen it further as I've drained the battery and now have it recharging.

2. I pulled both spark plugs (will replace) and there is spark at both, so I'm assuming ignition circuit is functional. Just before I drained the battery, I put a bit of gas in each cylinder and got a couple of coughs, but not enough to start. Need to get some starting fluid I guess.

So, that's where I'm at presently. Any suggestions will be welcome. to be honest, I haven't done all that much engine work in years, so I'm somewhat plodding along and appreciate if I can find good references.

Would also enjoy hearing from any other members with like cart who care to share experiences.

Thanks in advance.

David
sodamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-03-2011, 12:04 AM   #2
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 97 Gas TXT doesn't start (Long)

Cool..

if yours has four bolts holding the steering column at the base, use the newer references..
But that may be different..you'll figure that one out.

I hope you refilled the battery..before charging it. I have never heard of draining a battery.

They can be touchy starting, once you have all the elements in place, but you will get used to that. Sounds like the micro switch has been bypassed so they could leave it running etc.
I like mine like that..you can put it back if you want..basically the micro switch feeds through the reverse buzzer on on back of the shifter and down to the switch leg of the solenoid. Bypassing involves running 12 v to that leg and putting a switch or use the keyswitch.. the reason the starter is "running" is it doubles as a generator once the engine starts.
It sounds like you may be able to start it as it sits if you have fire, and fuel..but the carb is likely full of varnish and sediment, but maybe not. Those lines are important. One is a pulse line off your crankcase pressure that operates the fuel pump, the others are the fuel in and out lines.

You can make sure its in neutral if you put the transmission in neutral lockout..it centers by releasing a twist pin where the shifter linkage attaches.
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #3
victorjohn
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If the engine turns over when you step on gas pedal, that circuit is okay. If it is not firing, but you have spark, do the following:
1. Replace your gasoline. The one in the tank could be old stock already.
2. Clean the gas tank very well before you put new gas.
3. Replace fuel filter.
4. Clean the carb. You may have to adjust the float level.
5. Make sure that the fuel pump is working, Remove the end that goes to the carb and start your cart. Gas should come out of the fuel line. (While at it, do not let go of the gas pedal. If the cart starts with the fuel line detached, it is a float issue).

Let's hear from you after you have done all this. (I have a 96 Workhorse which exhibited the same problem and I solved it by adjusting the float).

Have a nice day.

(What he meant by "drained the battery" is the charge was all used up while attempting to start the cart. You only drain a "rechargeable" battery to remove the "memory").
victorjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #4
sodamo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by csason View Post
Cool..

if yours has four bolts holding the steering column at the base, use the newer references..
But that may be different..you'll figure that one out.

Memory says it is 4 bolt, but I'll definitely check in morning.

I hope you refilled the battery..before charging it. I have never heard of draining a battery.

LOL, we live by battery power LOL as we are completely off grid. Have 12 batteries, 4v, 315lbs each that power our house. Distilled water. Yea, I just ran it down cranking in trying to figure out what was what. It is a smallish replacement battery about size off an old fashion 6v. I have a spare 12v that I'll also use tomorrow.

They can be touchy starting, once you have all the elements in place, but you will get used to that. Sounds like the micro switch has been bypassed so they could leave it running etc.
I like mine like that..you can put it back if you want..basically the micro switch feeds through the reverse buzzer on on back of the shifter and down to the switch leg of the solenoid. Bypassing involves running 12 v to that leg and putting a switch or use the keyswitch.. the reason the starter is "running" is it doubles as a generator once the engine starts.

So it sounds like leaving as is is harmless? If so, I'll likely leave it that way at least for now. I think I know where the reverse buzzer is and not only isn't hooked up, not even a hint of a wire showing. A wiring diagram would be handy.

It sounds like you may be able to start it as it sits if you have fire, and fuel..but the carb is likely full of varnish and sediment, but maybe not. Those lines are important. One is a pulse line off your crankcase pressure that operates the fuel pump, the others are the fuel in and out lines.

I think so. Will likely pull the carb bowl. Guess I need some carb cleaner also. The pulse line is working, can feel it pull when cranking.

You can make sure its in neutral if you put the transmission in neutral lockout..it centers by releasing a twist pin where the shifter linkage attaches.
I can put it in neutral, but didn't see a way to lock it in neutral. Have to look for that twist pin.

Thanks for your help - every bit appreciated.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
sodamo
Not Yet Wild

Thanks
Will do Victorjohn

David
Old 03-03-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
sodamo
Not Yet Wild

IT RUNS!!!!!!!!! and runs really good :) $1330 good fer sure.

I put the new plugs in, squirted some carb cleaner, then some starter fluid. What a pleasant sound to hear it kick over. Read somewhere on here about using compressed air to get her primed - great idea.

So after letting it run about 10 minutes, a put everything back together so I could go for a spin. We have 21 acres, with about 6 in middle fenced to keep out the pigs and the dogs in. I made a circuit than came back to house and picked up wife for another circuit. Speed definitely NOT a problem on our rough terrain. Did have a challenge in that I hand to pull accelerator pedal back by hand, will have to see if just dirty, needs adjustment, grease or what. Would also like the brakes to be more responsive.
Anyway, I tickled as a kid at Christmas.
Tomorrow I replace the gas lines, filter, check the pedal and brakes and likely cruise some more LOL
Thanks to all for getting me in right direction.
David

ETA: I'd like to get replacement belts, both starter belt and drive. Preference would be for a readily available generic such as Gates, as I'd likely have to order anything else online and suffer the shipping charges. Drive belt is still very readable as to numbers, but not so the starter belt, which is also worn.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:55 PM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Good find. Glad you got it worked out. How did the starting setup end up ? You turn the key and what happens ? Do you have to push the gas pedal to start ?
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
sodamo
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Good find. Glad you got it worked out. How did the starting setup end up ? You turn the key and what happens ? Do you have to push the gas pedal to start ?
OK, I'll try :)

Turn the key and the starter motor engages, turning engine. It did not fire up until I pressed the accelerator a bit. But as I only started it one time, I'll have to pay more attention. :)

David
Old 03-03-2011, 11:02 PM   #9
csason
Love my Big Block

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodamo View Post
OK, I'll try :)

Turn the key and the starter motor engages, turning engine. It did not fire up until I pressed the accelerator a bit. But as I only started it one time, I'll have to pay more attention. :)

David
sounds like it's just switch wired instead of pedal activated..
and you adding a little throttle gives it some needed fuel to start..
just like my old one.

Good deal !
My ma in law was on Kuaii for the big hurricane a few years back..

Nice place out there..
csason is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO