lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-14-2011, 01:39 AM   #1
trevorQQQQ
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default starting problems!!!

its a 244cc two-stroke eng ez-go

so when i go to push the gas pedal it wont turn over so i need help figureing out the eletrical
trevorQQQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: starting problems!!!

Click on the golf cart, and be on your way to posting your question, in the forum of your choice

rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi Trevor,

Welcome here!

Guess the first questions I'd ask are:
- What year/model is the cart?
- How is the battery and what sort of voltage does it give?
- Have you looked around the cart for broken wires or broken connections or corroded connectors
- If you put the cart in reverse, does the beeper come on? If not, you likely have a broken connection somewhere
- Have you checked the ground connectoir where it attached to the frame? Maybe cleaning this is a good first move.

Report back and let us know how you're doing
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Here's a basic wiring diagram to get you started:

Now - Let's look at the usual suspects to start, test both the keyswitch and the accelerator switch (the accel switches are a big culprit if the cart has been sitting,the wires like to corrode and even though they *look* OK can't make connection, trust me - been there done that) ... Then definitely do a once-over and pull the ground strap from the block and frame and wire brush / clean the heck out of it as Scooter posted above (another significantly common break in the juice train) ... With the cart on blocks (or if you pull the drive belt by rolling it gently off of the clutches) you can also jump the solonoid (as you would with an older car) to test it.

Also, pull all the connections on the starter/generator one at a time (use a thin wrench behind the nuts to keep from spinning the posts, especially since it's been sitting) and clean the heck out of them, solenoid too - as Scooter said, any corrosion or breaks will stop you dead in your tracks, once you can ensure that all the juice has a way to get where it's supposed to, then either you're going to turn over or we'll at least have a better starting point to assist you with.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
trevorQQQQ
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

ok i have no clue what year it is but its an older model ezgo
the battery is brand new
the beeper comes on
and i checked the ground cable
it was running like 4 months ago but theres something in the elerical that made it not start anymore with the pedal but when i jump it it turns over
and what is the compression suppose to be on it??

thank you
Old 06-14-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Trevor,

When you say jump it, you mean hooking booster cables up from a car? If so, where are you hooking the cables that you get it to turn over?

Also a good idea to check the voltages on a brand new battery as well - my brand new battery needed a good charge and was pretty flat off the shelf.

My instinctive thoughts are that if you have the backup alarm, and it only turns over when boosted (assuming you're boosing on the battery), then I would guess that:
- Your new battery could be weak and needs a serious charge
- You could have a bad connection somewhere in the starting circuit that will not allow battery current through, but allows the higher amperage of a boosted battery through

The pedal issue is likely related to the microswitch that is inside the engine compartment directly behind where the driver sits. My cart had sat for a long time and mine was the opposite - turned over without me wanting it to. You could try PBing it (like I did), though there may be a damaged or broken connection there that PB won't help.

We can worry about the compression once you get the thing turning over properly. However, I've seen it written that over 100 is good.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #7
trevorQQQQ
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

no im not jumping it with the car im jumping the solenoid on the cart
Old 06-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I think we know your problem then, don't we? Sounds like you need a new solenoid. If the solenoid is dead, no amount of stomping ont he pedal will make anything happen.

However, if it's not firing when you're jumping the solenoid, there could be other issues including spark, or compression. That being said, if you're not really cranking it, it could just be needing a bit of cranking to get the fuel moving and get it to fire.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
trevorQQQQ
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

how do you check a solenoid ?
Old 06-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #10
trevorQQQQ
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

so i got it turning over with the pedal now when it turns over for about 3 mins its like it back fires out of the muffler like it builds compression and it blows by the rings
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO