lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rebuilding my 84(?) EZGO. Few questions..

It is a standard thread lefty loosey or as you said counter clockwise. It has probably been in there quite a while and just locked together. If you have a nice snug socket perhaps a little tap with a mallet might shock it or better still an impact wrench. You have to get it out to remove the clutch so be careful not to damage the head or shear the bolt.

That crankshaft really does need replacing, the good news is that you are going to have a new engine which will run rings around the four stroke boys.

Dave

Last edited by Dave Box; 07-25-2011 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: .
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-26-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
It is a standard thread lefty loosey or as you said counter clockwise. It has probably been in there quite a while and just locked together. If you have a nice snug socket perhaps a little tap with a mallet might shock it or better still an impact wrench. You have to get it out to remove the clutch so be careful not to damage the head or shear the bolt.

That crankshaft really does need replacing, the good news is that you are going to have a new engine which will run rings around the four stroke boys.

Dave
Thanks Dave. I'm definitely doing a complete rebuild.

BTW, I really enjoyed reading your blog.
Plumbergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Plummy,

If I didn't have an impact gun, I would not have been able to get my bolt out. Even after the seal "broke", there was so much crudola on the threads that getting it out would have been painful and frustrating with just a regular socket.

Just wait till you get to the flywheel......
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 02:31 PM   #14
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterMcTavish View Post
Plummy,

If I didn't have an impact gun, I would not have been able to get my bolt out. Even after the seal "broke", there was so much crudola on the threads that getting it out would have been painful and frustrating with just a regular socket.

Just wait till you get to the flywheel......
Yikes! Oh well, I guess the good thing is I don't have to be in any hurry. My goal is to have this thing rebuilt and running good by next summer so I'll just keep soaking it with WD40 and trying to get it loose.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #15
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd recommend trying PB - seems to dig into seized parts better than WD40.

However, YMMV.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:08 PM   #16
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quick update..

I purchased a 3/4 x 2 fine threaded bolt and made myself a 5/8"x3" round bar.. Screwed it in, tapped the end of the wrench a few times with a hammer and the clutch popped right off. Wasn't nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. Actually, getting the bolt that holds the clutch in place out was more difficult than getting the clutch to pop off of the tapered end of the shaft.

Now on to the other side.. Gonna start working on removing everthing on that side, and then split the case, remove the seals, and order my complete rebuild kit.

I think I read somewhere that I'm going to need a steering wheel puller to remove something on the other side?
Old 08-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #17
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Hey Plummy! Nice to see you back.

Yes, a steering wheel puller is a necessity, though you'll likely need to pick up some aftermarket M6 bolts (as long as you can get) with some thick washers to use with the puller.

If you're taking off the oil injection, you can always cut off the splines at the end of the crank to give you a little more leeway with the puller.

BCM had the best advice - when the puller is on under tension, get behind the fan with a chisel or long screwdriver, and hit sharply down on the metal flange attached to the back of the fan (right at the crank). This trick was what finally got mine off.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #18
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Once again, thanks for the valuable info Scooter! One more quick question.. Do you know of any place that might be local to me which sells steering wheel pullers? Autozone maybe?

Thanks!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Autozone, NAPA all those places carry them but get one with two arms as opposed to three, because of the way the screwholes are aligned on the flywheel a three arm puller does not work very well.

Once you have the center nut off give the shaft a good soak with PB blaster and let it sit a while. If it does not come off under pressure give it some more blaster. If it is still stuck it sometimes help to give the center of the puller a sharp tap with a mallet. Do not be tempted to use a lever under the flywheel as you will just bust the aluminum flange.

The secret is blaster, pressure, beer, tears and in my case a hefty dose of Lord's name taking of in vain.

Good luck
Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
Plumbergs
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Dave!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO