lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #1
Moonbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Stuff I learned while modifying my Precedent

I bought my 2007 electric Precedent back in June. The cart came with new batteries, Allshox lift kit, 22" tires, flip flop back seat, and a rearview mirror. I chose electric because the ranch is a good ways outside of the area called "town" and I didn't want to fool with gas cans and oil changes. We have a small ranch so I thought it would be fine to run tools to the garden and ride in the woods. And, it was fine, for about two weekends. Then I found a hill behind the house that it wouldn't climb. That's where the modifying began. I researched the threads and asked for some advice, which if I had followed, things likely would have gone smoother, though I probably would have ended up with the same mods. I decided that the first thing I needed was a more powerful motor, so $300 later a Plum Quick Bandit is in the pickup headed for the ranch. Knowing it would boost the speed I checked my top speed with a GPS before changing the motor. It was about 18 mph. Keep in mind we're on a gravel road between the house and the front gate so there really isn't any place to get up to "top" speed. Plum Quick supplied good instructions so I began the exchange. The only problem I ran into was that nowhere had anyone mentioned how heavy that bad boy motor is when you're laying on you're back, holding it over your chest, trying to get it to line up. After about 20 minutes of doing more exercise than I'm used to, it was on and the cables reconnected. I flipped the run/tow switch and gave it the "smoke" test. I'm not an electrical guy so I call it the smoke test for good reason. It took a few seconds for the controller to come to life though it did and all was well. Top speed is now about 21mph, but, it still wouldn't climb that hill. More research and back to the checkbook. Cables and controller were the next items on the suggestion list, though I decided to do them all at once. I shopped for the best price and ordered the parts from a board sponsor. Another $800 for Alltrax controller, 4 gauge cables, and heavy duty solenoid. I got a notice the package was on the way, but, before it arrived, I got an email that the controller had not been programmed. Bummer, weekend number one shot. The replacement arrived soon so it was off to the ranch. The first thing I noticed is the screw that holds to cover is metric. I haven't found another metric bolt on the cart. When I pulled the cover off the electronics compartment I saw there are a LOT of wires in there. I got a bigger note pad and sharpened my pencil. After labeling and unplugging everything I could find, I was able to lift the mounting board out of the cart. Disassembly being one of my finer skills, I had it apart in a few minutes. My next observation was that the Alltrax 500 amp controller is bigger than the stock controller and it will not mount in the same spot. Thinking there must be something about that in the instructions, I spent more time reading only to find nothing. I figured out that if I mounted the Alltrax vertically I could use some of the same screws from the original and it would fit. Although things seemed to be going well at this point, I like to say "if you think everything is going OK, you're not paying attention". The next step was to cut the lug off the battery cable so I could get it out of the OBC. The new cables came with the lugs already on them. I have seen many threads about how to get a 4 gauge cable through the OBC, but none of them mentioned the cable will go through the hole, the lug will not. While I have the cables in hand, I also notice the posts on the heavy duty solenoid are 3/8" while the holes in the lugs are 5/16". At this point, work for weekend #2 is over. Since I now had some free time, I decided to look at the instructions again. Much to my dismay, I saw the Alltrax wiring diagram that came in the box didn't match the labels on my cables. I was able to find a wiring diagram on their website and it didn't match the one in the box! Confused, and fearing a $600 smoke test, I sent Alltrax an email asking for help. They said the diagram on the instructions in the box is generic and I should use the one from their website. I contacted the supplier and he offered to send new lugs and heat shrink tubing. Unfortunately, they didn't arrive before I went to the ranch again, so I bought my own parts. Back at the ranch, I now hope I have everything I need. Carefully, I put all the wires back where I had them labeled, except one. Yep, there is one with no label and no obvious place to connect it. I didn't remember seeing it when I was pulling everything apart and since it had now been three weeks, I had no clue where it went. (It's a blue wire about 14 gauge and, apparently, isn't needed in my cart.) Trying to get all those heavy cables back under the electronic cover was like putting cats in a sack. Finally, everything is back together. I flip the run/tow switch for the smoke test and nothing happens. Good so far. I put the seat on, turn the key, put it in reverse, step on the peddle and...nothing. From changing the motor, I knew to expect a few seconds of delay, but even after pumping the pedal, not sure why since it's electric, still nothing. My dad used to tell me when my toys wouldn't work to always check the batteries first. I lifted the seat and found the run/tow switch had been flipped. Back in "run" and out the shop we went. I don't know if it has any higher top speed, the road has too many curves to find out. It's time to try the hill. With my wife on the cart with me we head down and turn around at the bottom. It has plenty of power to climb the hill. In fact, if I stop on the hill and floor the pedal, it will spin the tires. I'm happy...for now.
Moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 AM   #2
Offtwice
Member 23082

Club Car

Default Re: Stuff I learned while modifying my Precedent

I was waiting for a finally..........congrats!!

OT
Offtwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Stevegrmich
Medicare Recipient
E-Z-GO

Great story . . . and congrats! . . .
Stevegrmich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

I need to take a nap after reading all that! Welcome to BGW! You are just down the road from me. I am just north of Tenaha in Panola county.
Colbyntx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

the way you ended your story i,m certain your not done and theres more to come.......................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
Moonbuggy
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyntx View Post
I need to take a nap after reading all that! Welcome to BGW! You are just down the road from me. I am just north of Tenaha in Panola county.
I had seen your location was "East Texas" and wondered where you are located. I prefer "Deep East Texas"
Moonbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:35 PM   #7
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbuggy View Post
I had seen your location was "East Texas" and wondered where you are located. I prefer "Deep East Texas"
Some people don't get the "Deep" part. When I put in words like Tenaha and Panola people think I live in indian country but I don't think I have ever met a Caddo Indian in these parts!
Old 01-06-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

colby, explain to me deep texas? are you like isolated there? you know you can come outside and walk around in your skibbies if you want?? .......or have to jump in the truck or on the horse to go get a pack of smokes?..................................
Old 01-06-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Colbyntx
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
colby, explain to me deep texas? are you like isolated there? you know you can come outside and walk around in your skibbies if you want?? .......or have to jump in the truck or on the horse to go get a pack of smokes?..................................
Deep East Texas is over here on the Louisiana line. I am 8 miles from louisiana and yes, you can walk around out back naked if you wanted. If you just say East Texas, well that is an area bigger than most of y'alls states. It is a 35 mile round trip for milk! I don't smoke but do dip and I go to LA to get snuff because it is half the price in Louisiana. I can't even get caller ID on my home phone because of our old 2 wire lines. That is just too much data!!! Thank god for sat internet!!!!! It is nice and quiet out here just the way I like it. As Bocephus said, "I live back in the woods you see, my woman and the kids and my dogs and me".
Old 01-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

sounds like it would suit me fine.............i really could care less when i see other people, don,t get me wrong i love talking to and running into buddies and other people but i sure wouldn,t lose any sleep if i didn,t see anyone...............before i got married i was a caretaker at a hunting and fishing lodge with approx 300 acres............nothing for you but here thats a lot of land.............the house was just about in the middle of it all and i could sit at the bar open the window and shoot a deer or whatever else but never even had to leave the house to do it..................kinda liked it that way.....i would see a few people on weekends or hunting season but overall it was a very quiet life...........just me my coon hound and my sweetie before we married, now its small town life and it took some getting used to but i still have that bug in me that i could pack and go live in the middle of nowheres again.................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car